Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Softening Suspension
AntonUK

posted on 20/6/17 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Softening Suspension

Hi All,
I've always known my car to be a a hard ride.But as I'm getting more used to driving it and gaining confidence, I am suffering with the British roads. The constant banging and bumping of the road unsettled the car to the point of scary.

So I want to soften the ride a little to help soak up the bumps better. Currently the car is fitted with spax adjustable coil overs. With adjusters set to 3 clicks from the softest. Would changing the springs have the desired effect or should I be looking elsewhere?

Build Photos Here

JAG

posted on 20/6/17 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
What suspension system do you have on the rear?

I have a live-axle which is always going to be more of a challenge for ride comfort!

Fitting softer springs is an option. Make sure to buy longer springs than you currently have so you can get the same pre-load and achieve the same ride height.

I also believe that most dampers have a damping range designed for much heavier cars than our kit cars. I run my AVO's on the lowest damper setting and it's still a stiff ride!

If I was looking to improve the ride and handling I'd investigate finding dampers more tuned/suited to a very light car. ProComp Motorsport are able to tune the dampers to suit light weight kit cars so I'd probably approach them.

That's my plan for the AVO's that I currently have on my 565 kg car

[Edited on 20/6/17 by JAG]

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

loggyboy

posted on 20/6/17 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
What tyre profiles and brand?
A taller profile (if it can be accommodated under arches), or a reduction in rim size combined with profile increase.
make sure you dont have XL (extraload) tyres fitted as they will have firmer walls.

Mistral Motorsport

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/6/17 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
as above, first thing I'd do is look for taller profile tyres on smaller rims, your wasting your time if you have rubber bands on

[Edited on 20/6/17 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 20/6/17 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
As above I'd start with rims and tyres to soften the ride. I'd also be looking at tyre pressures as well. I think a lot of people run their tyres at too high a pressure, which will make the ride more harsh. I know on my MK Indy some years back reducing the tyre pressures to around 16-18 psi improved the ride and also the handling.
AntonUK

posted on 20/6/17 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks All,

quote:

What suspension system do you have on the rear?

Live Rear (English) and typical double wishbone front.

quote:

What tyre profiles and brand?
[/quote

195/50/15 Michelin Ps3

quote:

As above I'd start with rims and tyres to soften the ride

Currently running 18psi all round

Ill try knocking the shocks right down, and take some measurments of exisiting. Ive found an interesting youtube video explaining means to calculate spring rates without a proper test jig.

Build Photos Here

loggyboy

posted on 20/6/17 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Try some uniroyal RS3s, much softer side walls to the point that Tintop users complain they are too soft when used in anger, should suit a lightweight car as a road tyre, and will be great if you get caught in rain.

Mistral Motorsport

pekwah1

posted on 20/6/17 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Plus as others have mentioned, consider going down to some 13" wheels, you'll have much more sidewall which will help
AntonUK

posted on 22/6/17 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
If I'm honest I don't really want to be swapping wheels, I tend to think the car would look wrong on smaller wheels.

I'll try backing the shocks off entirely at the weekend then move on to softer springs.

I found this video while searching... very interesting

Build Photos Here

rusty nuts

posted on 23/6/17 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
The first thing I would check would be to make sure all of the suspension pivot points are working as they should especially the wishbone crush tubes.
rusty nuts

posted on 23/6/17 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
The first thing I would check would be to make sure all of the suspension pivot points are working as they should especially the wishbone crush tubes.
davidimurray

posted on 23/6/17 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Is the car jumping around or does it try and veer sideways when you go over a bump? If it is the second option have a look at the bumpsteer.

When I first built mine it tried to find a ditch on every bump. When I checked the bumpsteer it was miles out. I did the check quite simply, take the shock out and support the car with a trolley jack under the wheel. Then get a spirit level with a laser line in the end and strap it to the side of the wheel. On the garage wall put a piece of paper and mark a vertical line that starts at the dot on the wheel. Now jack the wheel up and the dot should follow as straight a line as possible, if not then raise the steering rack with shims and repeat. Keep going until you are as good as you will get. Unlikely to be perfect but mine went from +35mm change across the travel to 4mm and transformed the car. Repeat on the other side and job done.

Gallery 1 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.116893465324.130778.601005324
Gallery 2 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.245243755324.181913.601005324&l=a9831a9319
Gallery 3 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.440671625324.232627.601005324&l=3f0d42c523
Gallery 4 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490098255324.297598.601005324&l=efb083b7df
Gallery 5 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150244028550325.366987.601005324&l=583fd5cd3a
Gallery 6 http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150550640070325.430417.601005324&type=3&l=fe779b358c
Duratec Engine Swap https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152527759580325.1073741828.601005324&type=1&l=40aae5e72f " target="_blank"> https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152527759580325.1073741828.601005324&type=1&l=40aae5e72f

SJ

posted on 23/6/17 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Is the car jumping around or does it try and veer sideways when you go over a bump? If it is the second option have a look at the bumpsteer.

+1. The single biggest improvement to my car was dialling out bump steer.

Sam_68

posted on 23/6/17 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AntonUK

Good explanation... and yes, notwithstanding that you need relatively firm springs due to the limited ground clearance on our type of cars, there is a trend for people to fit suspension that is much too stiff for optimum road use 'because race car'. All too often, it actually makes you slower on the road, because the car is skipping around with limited firm contact with the ground.

The one thing you don't appear to have told us is what spring rates you're running at the moment, which is obviously pretty crucial if anyone is going to suggest whether they're too stiff or not!

You need to measure the spring rates and leverages to calculate the wheel rate, and that will give you a benchmark for comparison.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.