Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ready for the first test drive... I think
furryeggs

posted on 2/8/17 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ready for the first test drive... I think

I'm pretty much ready for the first test drive.
I've been through the wiring and thats now 98% done.
my oil level is ok and i have oil pressure.
I've flushed all the old crud and crap from the engine and added 50/50 coolant which is now circulating nicely.
My tickover is a little fast but it runs and holds and doesn't seem to be misfiring etc.
My innovate LC-2 is wired up with no fault codes on the controller and the ecu seems to be reading ok.

The only thing i haven't managed to check is my clutch and g/box, I know the clutch works, and the g/box selects gears. I have checked it works when it was on stands by turning the wheels in and out of gear, I'm just not sure if they work together or what it's going to do when the engines running.

whats the safest way to check before i drive it. I don't want to stuff it through the garage wall.

Simon

posted on 2/8/17 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Start in one corner and go over all suspension/steering/drive and propshaft linkages, go over all brake lines and double check fuel hose connections. Carry a fire extinguisher or six

Good luck and enjoy

stevebubs

posted on 3/8/17 at 02:26 AM Reply With Quote
Start it and test it whilst the rear end is on axle stands...? If you want to be uber cautious, take the rear wheels off...
pewe

posted on 3/8/17 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Such an exciting time when it finally all comes together!
Apart from the above and especially if you haven't driven one before -Keep a light right foot .
Most kits are light, powerful and of course rear wheel drive so respond in a different way to a tin-top - especially if it's damp/wet.
Apologies if I'm trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs....
Enjoy.
Cheers, Pewe10

nick205

posted on 3/8/17 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Go easy - they're lightweight RWD cars and behave quite differently to more modern (usually FWD) cars.

Remember the first test drive in my MK Indy a few years back - very satisfying

furryeggs

posted on 4/8/17 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure how to get video's onto here but she drives, I only reversed out the garage 10m and drove back in, but it all went ok.
I haven't got the exhaust on fully and the idles a little lumpy, but it's moved under it's own power and thats the main thing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.