Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: anti roll bar kit?
Gre3D

posted on 5/9/17 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
anti roll bar kit?

hi guys,

over the winter i plan on mounting anti roll bars to the front and rear of the car.

any advice on which ones to use? are there any "kits" available?

rear is a baby atlas axle by the way

thanks!

----------------------------
running a duratec ST engine'd locost for belgian slalom championship

Charlie C

posted on 6/9/17 at 05:56 AM Reply With Quote
Morning

I can't help with the kit sorry, if its for road use when I had my suspension set up by Mat at procomp and his tuned shocks fitted I asked him about ARB's and his advice was unless your racing on a circuit doing the same corners over and over an ARB is not going to be dialled in correctly and will be of little use, I was sceptical.

After a summer of driving my car set up by Mat I would totally agree with him, the car grips amazingly and when it does rarely lose grip its totally predictable and controllable.

At the end of the day its your car and you can do what you like and I don't know how tuned you suspension is, but it might be worth if you already haven't done so spending the money on a good suspension set up and shocks that are better suited to the weight of your car. Contact Procomp his knowledge is vast and his advice is spot on.

Charlie

shindha

posted on 6/9/17 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
2nd what Charlie said, they fettled with my old westy and completely transformed it.
Camber Dave

posted on 6/9/17 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Anti roll bar(s) are a high priority for fast road and track use.
They allow us to separate the vertical motion of the car (Bumps) from chassis roll (corners).
This means that springs can be selected for ideal road compliance and the ARB's designed to control the roll.
Off the shelf Front bars from Westfield, Playskool, and Siltech are good value for money and work well on Westfield’s and similar weight 7 type cars.

The front Bar controls the roll of the car and feedback that the driver uses to position the vehicle. ie the adjustment provides a trade-off between roll control and driver reaction.
So ARB's can be a disadvantage to cars used for afternoon touring as they 'decouple' the independent suspension.

Ideally the rear ARB should be rated so that the balance of the car can be tuned from understeer thro' to mild oversteer by altering the lever arm length to suit driver and track.
Then driving the car 'on the throttle' can be explored fully. This is the effect of the car exiting corners with increasing application of power and feeling it move to the outer clipping point with the steering used to confirm the grip rather than pointing the car

Needless to say the rating of the bars needs to be done as a PAIR, considering the entire vehicle.
All parameters need to be crunched in a calculation usually in a spreadsheet.
Front and Rear Weights, unsprung weight, roll centres, wheelbase and track, wheel size, tyre widths, spring rates and movement ratios, C of G all need to be taken into account as they all affect the transfer of weight in a corner.
The weight transfer dictates the loading of the tyres and thus modifies the slip angles.

For the above reasons and calcs done, I believe that most off the shelf REAR bars are too stiff and adjustments provided are ineffective to overall car balance.

In summary, without supporting calcs, use ONLY a front ARB It may increase understeer, which is safe, but will reduce roll and assist turn-in and positioning for corners.
Select a bar where the drop link to the lower arm is adjustable on the lever arms of the roll bar.

Gre3D

posted on 6/9/17 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
thanks guys, i'll see if i can contact the man for some advice and maybe set up the car.

this is the sport i'm doing with the car https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaKt_nHozPI&t=22s
this is one of the slower courses but was the top time that day.

-in some picturs in can see the upper wishbone push against the light mounting bracket. which is somewhere around 8 cm higher i think.

- also a while ago i did a trackday and the outer part of the left rear tyre was completely worn while the right one was still very good.
these 2 things made think about adding ARB's.

i've also asked here to change the rear to IRS, but most people seemed to like the baby atlas more. and looking at the regulations i'm not allowed to change the suspension to IRS.

----------------------------
running a duratec ST engine'd locost for belgian slalom championship

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.