Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which flexi hose ends do I need
jps

posted on 15/11/20 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Which flexi hose ends do I need

(I've already emailled Info@Furore and am waiting for a reply, but thought i'd ask on here if anyone could add anything...)

I've got one set of flexi-hoses, which came with the front Sierra calipers I bought. Both ends of this hose look like this, which I *think* is a DIN male bulkhead fitting but can anyone confirm? If so - is this right to use into the caliper, and what's the right flare to connect this to a kunifer line?

DSCF0054[ /url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/24449711@N08/]johnpsanderson, on Flickr

DSCF0052[ /url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/24449711@N08/]johnpsanderson, on Flickr

The length/clearances work well when I tried the hoses in the rear calipers, so I was going to buy a set the same again. Then I took out the OEM line from a junk rear caliper I have, and the hose end is very different, pic here:
DSCF0062[ /url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/24449711@N08/]johnpsanderson, on Flickr

Does anyone know what the OEM hose end is, so I can spec the same? Or can I just use the 'bulkhead' fitting - like the hose I already have?

Dingz

posted on 15/11/20 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
It looks like you have a male type fitting on the front calipers but a female on the rear, the form machined in the rear caliper is called an inverted flare I think. Effectively the two different ends you have would fit and seal together. You cannot put the front fitting into the rear, it will be a male to male. Also there are DIN ends and SAE forms, best to wait for Furore, I'm sure they will know.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

jps

posted on 15/11/20 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dingz
It looks like you have a male type fitting on the front calipers but a female on the rear, the form machined in the rear caliper is called an inverted flare I think. Effectively the two different ends you have would fit and seal together. You cannot put the front fitting into the rear, it will be a male to male. Also there are DIN ends and SAE forms, best to wait for Furore, I'm sure they will know.

Thanks, interesting as the fitting inside the caliper itself looks the same on both the front and the rear caliper. They’re both convex, so I thought it odd that the OEM hose in the rear caliper was convex as well...

jps

posted on 16/11/20 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry - the fitting in both calipers is **concave*** - it is like looking into a bowl. So I had expected both hoses to have a convex end - but the OEM handbrake hose is concave also as the pictures above show...
jps

posted on 16/11/20 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry - the fitting in both calipers is **concave*** - it is like looking into a bowl. So I had expected both hoses to have a convex end - but the OEM handbrake hose is concave also as the pictures above show...
voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 17/11/20 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John,

The bulkhead fitting on the first picture looks to be M10x1.00 thread. It is the thread used all over the brake system on a Ford Sierra, so fat chances that it is what you have.

First check if the diameter is exactly 10mm.

If it is 10mm, to check the pitch, count 10 threads, and measure the length of these 10 threads. If it is 10mm, it means that you have 1 thread every each mm, then it is a M10x1.00. If 10 threads measure 15mm, then it is M10x1.5, and if 10 threads measure 12.5mm, then it is M12x1.25 (very popular on Japanese motorbike brake lines)

So you'll need a M10x1.00 female on the kunifer pipe, with a concave seat you'll have to form with a flare tool. Also on the chassis side, to hold the brake line, you'll need an M10x1.00 lock nut.

The second picture is nothing to worry about even though it looks different. It is actually a double seat (or double flare) male fitting. It feature both convex (outer cone) and concave (inner cone) seat. It is very common, all the fitting manufacturers made at one point double seat fittings because they can match both concave and convex seats on the opposite part. One fitting to fit 2 set ups, very clever! If you remember, all the brake lines I was offering for the Haynes Roadster at the glorious time of the Haynes Forum were fitted with double seat fittings. Check this page from my forgotten website, not active but still online : https://sites.google.com/site/hydraulicforkitcars /custom-brake-hoses/technical-details/fittings

(there is also a table on how to identify your thread, even though the best thing would be for you to get hold of a thread gauge)

So what is important is to identify the seat that is in the caliper. If the brake line you'll use has a double seat fitting like the one on the picture, it is fine. If not, it will of course need to have the opposite seat of the calliper's seat.

Hope that will help

jps

posted on 18/11/20 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by voucht
Hi John,

The bulkhead fitting on the first picture looks to be M10x1.00 thread. It is the thread used all over the brake system on a Ford Sierra, so fat chances that it is what you have.

First check if the diameter is exactly 10mm.

If it is 10mm, to check the pitch, count 10 threads, and measure the length of these 10 threads. If it is 10mm, it means that you have 1 thread every each mm, then it is a M10x1.00. If 10 threads measure 15mm, then it is M10x1.5, and if 10 threads measure 12.5mm, then it is M12x1.25 (very popular on Japanese motorbike brake lines)

So you'll need a M10x1.00 female on the kunifer pipe, with a concave seat you'll have to form with a flare tool. Also on the chassis side, to hold the brake line, you'll need an M10x1.00 lock nut.

The second picture is nothing to worry about even though it looks different. It is actually a double seat (or double flare) male fitting. It feature both convex (outer cone) and concave (inner cone) seat. It is very common, all the fitting manufacturers made at one point double seat fittings because they can match both concave and convex seats on the opposite part. One fitting to fit 2 set ups, very clever! If you remember, all the brake lines I was offering for the Haynes Roadster at the glorious time of the Haynes Forum were fitted with double seat fittings. Check this page from my forgotten website, not active but still online : https://sites.google.com/site/hydraulicforkitcars /custom-brake-hoses/technical-details/fittings

(there is also a table on how to identify your thread, even though the best thing would be for you to get hold of a thread gauge)

So what is important is to identify the seat that is in the caliper. If the brake line you'll use has a double seat fitting like the one on the picture, it is fine. If not, it will of course need to have the opposite seat of the calliper's seat.

Hope that will help

Thanks Sylvain - much appreciated as it makes it largely clearer to me. I'd not seen your site on hoses before - that's really helpful. I'd also not come across 'double' seats - despite lots of Googling! If only you were still supplying hoses!

I'm still somewhat bemused by the fact that we use a 'DIN' male fitting, with an SAE female flare (i.e. where the hardline meets the bulkhead connector) but will just bolt it all up on the basis it works for everyone else!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.