Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sierra/granada differences
interestedparty

posted on 9/4/02 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
sierra/granada differences

I've decided not to use the Jaguar front suspension in my project, too many problems, and to use widely available sierra-to-locost suspension parts. Anyone know of any reason why I shouldn't use Granada front struits as a basis?.. and get 5-stud bolt pattern to at least look the same as the Jaguar rear bolt pattern. I will be retaining the Jaguar rear BTW, big power handling potential and LSD, nice!
John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/4/02 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
which granada do you mean? The Mk3 type with abs that ran with the sierra?

If so, I have used a granada in my build, and have both haynes manuals from sierra and granada. Essentially the same bits on a different body.

Seems similar for earlier granada and cortina too.

When you say struts, you mean mcphersons? Bit long as std.

ATB

Steve

interestedparty

posted on 10/4/02 at 01:25 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, the mk 3, I should have said, I'd forgotten about the earlier ones despite having owned two of them!
It's my plan to use the mk 3 stuff, unbolt the original strut, use a 'mushroom' from MK or Lolocost and a set of MK wishbones. I believe I've worked out the geometry I will need to use. My plan is to jig up the bracket positions and then place the chassis rails to suit. When my CAD program arives I might be able to use it to try out different layouts, or otherwise I will have to do some pretty accurate drawings.
I also have both the Haynes manuals, and couldn't see any differences, but I'm glad to have it confirmed, thanks.
John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Steve Crees

posted on 19/4/02 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
If all you want is 5 stud fixing you could use uprights from Ford P100 same dimensions as cortina but five stud and vented discs
James

posted on 19/4/02 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
I've been thinking about using MK3 Grandad uprights too. The problem is that there's very few wheels that'll fit the short stud pattern. (if I wanted anything other than the donor ones that is...

I was wondering if it's possible to change the stud pattern- either by removing the studs and replacing with longer ones or by changing whatever it is they attach to with a compatible/modified part that has a better pattern.

Any thoughts? Preferably ones other than "b#gger off James and come up with a sensible idea for once"!

Thanks,

James

Jon Ison

posted on 19/4/02 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
ok, so i used cortina....but.....in my grass track days we often used Lada, yes Lada front wishbones, uprights, disc & caliper, the top wish bone has just one long bolt and the bottom one, 1 in each arm, next time your at a scrappy take a look, and they are to be had for nowt.........

just a thought

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/4/02 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I've been thinking about using MK3 Grandad uprights too. The problem is that there's very few wheels that'll fit the short stud pattern.
James

You mean the 108mm PCD stud spacing?

I think thats a fairly std spacing - looks like my 318i beemer has a similar spacing.

Steve Crees

posted on 20/4/02 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Just to add my pennys worth the granada pcd is identicle to 5 stud mercs now theres a thought
James

posted on 20/4/02 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Just to add my pennys worth the granada pcd is identicle to 5 stud mercs now theres a thought

I spoke to a guy in Les Smith (auto accessories shop) he said that although the stud spacing was 108 the studs were unusually short and so it was very hard to find aftermarket alloys that fit the Grandad.
Other manufactures who use this spacing (but have longer studs) are Mercedes and Audi (he didn't mention BMW although that could well have been an oversight.

The reason I was asking about changing the studs is at some point in the future I'd like to fit some nice aftermarket alloys. (I know not exactly Locost but anyway). I've always wanted a set of Momo Sport alloys and wanna be able to fit them!

I can't see there being many aftermarket alloys designed for Merc and Audi as they come with them already but if I could change the pattern to suit Sierra there's hundreds of alloy designs that will fit.

Just one of my ideas that make the project way harder with little benefit- oh well!

James

chrisg

posted on 20/4/02 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Chaps,

Surely these wheel studs are the same as the Sierra one's i.e.they are removable, and Rally Design(amongst others) sell longer ones?

Problem solved!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

bob

posted on 20/4/02 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
James
Studs come out fairly easy,bit of heat and a good wack and its done

Alistair Mc

posted on 9/5/02 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
If you want the larger disk of the granada, buy need a 4 studs use hubs off a sierra with ABS they are identical to granada hubs except with four studds. I have used then on my build.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.