Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel tank metal
David Jenkins

posted on 18/4/02 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel tank metal

I have an opportunity to get some stainless steel for a fuel tank. I have the technology to weld it (or I might braze it) and I have access to a huge metal folder.

The problem is, the thickest I can get is 0.7mm - any opinions on whether this is thick enough? The tank will be roughly to the book (slightly taller).

cheers,

David

Jon Ison

posted on 18/4/02 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I made my tank from stainless, 1.2 thick....the body of my car is 0.7 stainless and i made a small center console out of the same stuff, i would call myself average with the Tig welder but i struggled with it, the guys in the fab shop at work made a better job of it but said that was about as thin as they could weld.......don't grind any edges after you have cut the steel, (you will make it thinner)if you know stainless you will know as soon as it see's any heat it moves and pulls all over, about twice as much as carbon, it can be done but your teatering on the edge.
theconrodkid

posted on 18/4/02 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Best bet is a plastic tank,they shouldnt leak in case of an accident,locodude makes them,free insult if bought before christmass
David Jenkins

posted on 19/4/02 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
Jon - you're probably right - I've only TIG'd thicker stainless (which I found to be quite pleasant). I was thinking of brazing it, though.

t'kid - I may yet go that way - and I'm not afraid of insults; I've been insulted by professionals!

Steve Crees

posted on 19/4/02 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Regarding brazing stainless I do not recomend it as the heat involved will distort metal like b******er
chrisg

posted on 19/4/02 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
David,

You may have been insulted by professionals but I can confirm from personal experiencethat the Plastic Tank man is different class!

Cheers

Chris

(also "refreshingly honest")

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

locodude

posted on 19/4/02 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys
It's all part of the 'Total service package'.
Chris PTM
p.s. I'm in training for insulting the French in june!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/4/02 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi David.

I notice you have been hedging your bets a lot lately - you ask the same questions on here and yahoo.

Seems you get more answers on here tho- apart from that rather helpful Gusterson guy that answered on the 'other' list.

As I said there, I had my dad get one made up at his engineering works.

A mate of his did it from 1mm stainless, TIG welded, and the construction was such that all the welds came together at flat edges - so he seam welded it ALONG the edges - like 2mm wide metal.

NO distortion, no leaks and looked great.

However, when I welded a 3mm plate on the top for the fuel sender with a mig, LOTS of ripples in the top.

I have pics if anyone wants to see, but how do you put em on here?

I have some new pics to post in general and i might put em in my pics section in the other group. Last time I did that tho world war 3 broke out. Saddos.

ATB

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.