Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Using sierra hubs
Dougw

posted on 20/1/02 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Using sierra hubs

I have just bought a chassis and a box of bits for £80 and there are some sierra hubs in the box. Being a total newcomer can someone tell me if I can use the top wishbones from the book or will they need to be a different length to keep the camber angle right? Any help would be greatly appreciated
ChrisW

posted on 22/1/02 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
AFAIK the wishbones will be the same (someone please correct me if I'm wrong because it will effect my chassis aswell!!)

You will need some adaptors to allow you to fit the wishbones as the Sierra has McPh struts. Dunc can sort you out with those on the cheap!

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dunc

posted on 22/1/02 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Chaps,

I can send you guys a couple of sketches showing the relative positions of the centres of the upper and lower balljoints when using the sierra hubs and the relationship to the trackrod end ball joint and tyre centre line. I'm no expert on suspension design but I've written a Excel spreadsheet to work out camber and track changes during roll and bump. It needs a lot of tidying to understand it. Hopefully you could use the info to help you decide wether to use the books wishbones. Also, the book uses Cortina bottom wishbones but these wont fit into the Sierra hub without major mods, I'm using Maxi ball joints so a different patterned plate is required, basically it's 3 holes. Chris, how about I email the jpgs or dxfs I've got of these parts for the members.

Dunc.

ChrisW

posted on 23/1/02 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Dunc

Email them over mate! Anything for the site is greatfully recieved although I'm not sure what software I need for these .dxf files. (JPG is fine though). I keep meaning to scan in those diagrams you sent me with the brackets... perhaps at the weekend!

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dunc

posted on 23/1/02 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,

Paint shop pro or similar can read dxfs no problem. I sort them out and email them to you.

Dunc.

ChrisW

posted on 23/1/02 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good mate - PSP will be able to convert them to Photoshop I expect.

Send them over!!

Chris

Dunc

posted on 23/1/02 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Photoshop should open the dxf format too, dxf is the autocad format so try open then select the file types to see if it's available as an import style.

Dunc.

ChrisW

posted on 24/1/02 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Will do when I get home - away with work this week. ;(

Chris

bob

posted on 24/1/02 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
chris
If you are going to meet up with us at kempton park this saturday,you can have a peep at my sierra hubs and top balljoint inserts.
Mine are from MK and came with chassis deal,the balljoint hole is off centre so as the insert can be turned.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.