Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wish bones misc'
bedsit

posted on 23/1/02 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Wish bones misc'

Can anyone give me some advice. As I don't know a great deal about materials, and I have been worried by the possibility of metal becoming brittle when MIG welding. Can anyone tell me whether it would be better to braise.
Also, can anyone tell me which are the best top and bottom ball joints for the front wish bones. Transit - Cortina - Maxi etc as they have 2 or 4 mount holes on them.

Dunc

posted on 23/1/02 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
You shouldn't have a problem with the joints becoming brittle with MIG welding as long as your not plunging them into cold water. Let them cool naturally in air. I take it you'd be using Steel for these (no benefit using alu for the wishbones). MIG welding would be better than braising because it is easier and wiser to have full penetration of the weld. What are you using for the front uprights, if it's a cortina upright use the cortina ball joint, if its sierra I'd recommend the Maxi.

Dunc.

Jon Ison

posted on 19/2/02 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
if you can , get them "Tig welded" otherwise mig is fine, like the guy says, let them cool in there own time, i used maxi ball joints, cortina uprights, there lighter.

bigdaddyadd

posted on 22/2/02 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Brazing is basically a bonding process and is not suitable for stressed areas better used for joints where water and air tight seals are needed ie pipe work or bicycle frames where the tubes penetrate the walls and the braze just holds them in place. Tig is ok but you will need to cut accurately as gaps are very difficult to fill with tig particularly around tubular components. Therefore mig or oxyacetaline welding would be the most appropriate means of joining. If you are still concerned do a couple of practice pieces hold one end in the vice and try to pull it apart or hammer it apart you will more than likely find (if settings are ok) that you tear the 16swg tube long b4 you break the weld.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigdaddyadd

posted on 22/2/02 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
My wishbones are based on cortina ball joints as I am using cortina uprights. I bought Ford genuine parts and judging by the fitting diagrams that came with them that little fold up bit is actually point less unless you weld addditional stiffeners to the wish bones but as the maxi joints don't have them I reckon you can take your cutting disc to those if you are going for as light a build as possible. Personally I'm a fat bastard so don't see the point (note genuine parts translates as bloody rip off)
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dick Axtell

posted on 5/3/02 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Cortina bottom ball joints are cheaper than Maxi types (approx £12/£15 each), so could be important factor.
ChrisW

posted on 5/3/02 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Where did you find them for that price?? Best quote I've had is £24!

Chris

James

posted on 5/3/02 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
And I'd thought the prices I'd been quoted were pricey!

Camberley Auto Factors: £14.46inc VAT
01252 518222

A.R.E (Branches all over the place): £15.99inc
01483 722424 (Woking)

James

ChrisW

posted on 5/3/02 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Sweeeeet! Just waiting for wishbones now...

ChrisW

James

posted on 6/3/02 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently Dunc paid £4.00 for his balljoints "from a local motor factors".

I know no other details but maybe we could get them there if they'll deliver!
Any chance of a phone number for them Dunc?

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.