Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Slipperclutch on a BEC?
WoKe

posted on 9/11/11 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Slipperclutch on a BEC?

Does anyone run a BEC that has a slipperclutch?
Reason for asking is that I have a R1 2005 chain-diff singleseater where the pedals are placed pretty uncomfortable to be able to heel-and-toe downshift. I guess a slipperclutch could come in handy to avoid rear-wheel lockup and excessive clutch wear when aggressively downshifting before cornering.

The current clutch has been re-enforced (stiffer springs I guess).
Anyone experienced with slipperclutch in a track-BEC. Do they work with stiffer springs?
Does it improve handling, or worsen it?

Thx,
Wouter

martylemoo

posted on 9/11/11 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.flatshifter.com/

That is your answer.

eddie99

posted on 9/11/11 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Flatshifter, if you want any more details, send me a u2u, im a reseller for the flatshifter and can probably do something better than the RRP price
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Bare

posted on 9/11/11 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Purpose of a Slipper clutch on a Moto (at least on mine :-) Is to prevent rear wheel lock up as you downshift for a corner at racing speeds. This simply has NO relevance to a car. Short answer is: on a 7 type machine, a 100% unecessary.. and probably very annoying As it reduces what little compression braking there is to near none.
Discard it IMO.

WoKe

posted on 9/11/11 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare
Purpose of a Slipper clutch on a Moto (at least on mine :-) Is to prevent rear wheel lock up as you downshift for a corner at racing speeds. This simply has NO relevance to a car. Short answer is: on a 7 type machine, a 100% unecessary.. and probably very annoying As it reduces what little compression braking there is to near none.
Discard it IMO.

It does have relevance for a car, why would one doe heel-and-toe in a car? Why would one install an autoblip system.
To avoid rear-wheel lockup as you downshift for a corner while racing since rear-wheel lockup unsettles the car, causes masstransfer, etc ...
I don't want my clutch, gearbox, engine do the braking for me, I do have brakes for that.
So are there any arguments against a slipperclutch in a bec?

WoKe

posted on 9/11/11 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
Flatshifter, if you want any more details, send me a u2u, im a reseller for the flatshifter and can probably do something better than the RRP price

U2U sent

Andy B

posted on 9/11/11 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Our experience using slipper clutches in the RGB series with the Sabre racecars and the 08 blades has been excellent, no need to try and match engine and road speed means you can thump down the box much quicker without risking an over rev or spin as you lock up the rear. No need to heel and toe and much smoother and stable entry to corners under braking.
To date we have run 2 hard seasons and the net mechanical work has been 1 clutch plate set and oil and filter changes, lap times are faster and the benefits in the wet are unreal, at Cadwell in the wet we were 5 seconds ahead on lap one and 28 seconds clear at the finish. The drivers love the slipper set up and so do I as it makes for far less time consuming maintenance repairing gearboxes and bent valves, yes you have to use the brakes harder but thats what they are there for.
regards
Andy

joni

posted on 9/11/11 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy B
Our experience using slipper clutches in the RGB series with the Sabre racecars and the 08 blades has been excellent, no need to try and match engine and road speed means you can thump down the box much quicker without risking an over rev or spin as you lock up the rear. No need to heel and toe and much smoother and stable entry to corners under braking.
To date we have run 2 hard seasons and the net mechanical work has been 1 clutch plate set and oil and filter changes, lap times are faster and the benefits in the wet are unreal, at Cadwell in the wet we were 5 seconds ahead on lap one and 28 seconds clear at the finish. The drivers love the slipper set up and so do I as it makes for far less time consuming maintenance repairing gearboxes and bent valves, yes you have to use the brakes harder but thats what they are there for.
regards
Andy

hi andy what about a slipper clutch on a fireblade 929 bec

Andy B

posted on 9/11/11 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I think a slipper would be a benefit and will look into availability for the 929 if you want me to, I do know of a firm that contacted me that said they would produce one for any engine and application but I will need to get a quote for one. Give me a bell on 01449 736633 and I will tell you what I know
Regards
Andy

WoKe

posted on 9/11/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy B
regards
Andy

Great!
Thats the kind of experience i was hoping for.
I'll order one this winter ... Aftermarket type and using some stiffer springs

Thx,
Wouter

coyoteboy

posted on 11/11/11 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

urpose of a Slipper clutch on a Moto (at least on mine :-) Is to prevent rear wheel lock up as you downshift for a corner at racing speeds. This simply has NO relevance to a car

What?! One of the biggest control problems we had with our new single seater drivers was them downshifting into a corner and locking the rears and ending up in the gravel. While it could of course be worked around with improved skill and training, it's not irrelevant.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.