Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alloy wheel nuts?
Jenko

posted on 20/4/14 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Alloy wheel nuts?

Without really thinking too much about it, I bought myself a nice set of anodised alloy wheel nuts........am I safe to assume there are no inherent issues with using said alloy nuts?.

Ta...Paul.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

blakep82

posted on 20/4/14 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
No worse than alloy hubs I'd have thought?
Legends race cars use alloy tube, threaded for rod ends, as axle link bars, so I'd think they'd be well up to it myself

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cliftyhanger

posted on 20/4/14 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Should be fine. But need to use a torque wrench to do them up.
Personally would stick to steel, its the usual weight saving v "what if" situation.plus I would be interested in what grade of ali was being used. I suspect most are really unsuitable, if the seller cannot confirm, definitely avoid.

Slimy38

posted on 20/4/14 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
I have seen on some tintop forums numerous instances where they have backed off and left the wheel loose, or have caused issues on the way out, but I don't know whether that's because they're alloy or whether they were being used wrong.

For example, thirty seconds on the MX5 forum got me this thread.

[Edited on 20/4/14 by Slimy38]

daniel mason

posted on 20/4/14 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
theres a possibility the 2 different metals (alloy nut,steel wheel stud) can rust together but with a small amount of grease or similar there should be no real issue.especially with 4 studs at a reasonable torque (radical suggest 70 lb/ft
mine has a 70mm centre locking alloy nut which can get stuck on badly if not greased up and slackened off regularly. but these are tightended to 200 lb/ft

[Edited on 20/4/14 by daniel mason]

Ben_Copeland

posted on 20/4/14 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
The drift boys have had quite a few failings. Probably don't like the side loads they put on them. Usually stripping the threads out of the alloy nut.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

britishtrident

posted on 20/4/14 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
theres a possibility the 2 different metals (alloy nut,steel wheel stud) can rust together but with a small amount of grease or similar there should be no real issue.especially with 4 studs at a reasonable torque (radical suggest 70 lb/ft
mine has a 70mm centre locking alloy nut which can get stuck on badly if not greased up and slackened off regularly. but these are tightended to 200 lb/ft

[Edited on 20/4/14 by daniel mason]

Try using aluminium-graphite anti-seize compound instead, it is very good at preventing alloy wheels seizing on, it also works a treat on exhaust joints.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 20/4/14 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jenko
Without really thinking too much about it, I bought myself a nice set of anodised alloy wheel nuts........am I safe to assume there are no inherent issues with using said alloy nuts?.

Ta...Paul.

Wheel nuts need to be tightened enough to put a fair amount of elastic stretch on the wheel stud otherwise they will slacken off, I wouldn't trust typical everyday aluminium alloys at that level of stress.

[/I]

daniel mason

posted on 20/4/14 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
BT! where would I find some of this? never heard of it before and have been having trouble with 1 wheel in particular! I have cleaned all threads with some cleaner and a tooth brush applied some grease and it seems a lot better!

britishtrident

posted on 20/4/14 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
If you do an eBay search on "aluminium graphite anti-seize" you should find it OK.
Motorcycle shops sometimes sell it in small tubes, it also has a Landrover part number.
I use the Delta D515 brand but they are all much the same, be aware it is a bit messy to use, a little goes a long way.

[/I]

Jenko

posted on 20/4/14 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Wow....ok, lots of different views....I guess it's fair to say on a 550kg car, the stress may be less than a full size hot hatch, but food for thought....

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

cliftyhanger

posted on 20/4/14 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Don't see how. Most stress will be from tightening the nuts.

Also, I gather the MSA do not allow alloy nuts for any of their events. I wonder why?

And what are the advantages?

Sorry to be a bit of PITA over this, but after an idiot nearly caused an accident by using totally inappropriate wheel nuts (they were steel, but small seats for steel wheels, being used on alloy wheels ) I have a vested interest. ie don't a wheel of car hitting me.....

v8kid

posted on 21/4/14 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC alloy wheel nuts are banned from the sprint and hillclimb series due to failures. Dunno howrelevent that nugget is for you I'm a chance but I wouldn't use them

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 21/4/14 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
IIRC alloy wheel nuts are banned from the sprint and hillclimb series due to failures.

I've heard that too (no doubt someone here will have a copy of the book to confirm this)

personally Is say what's the point in risking the alloy nuts on such a safety critical part for minimal weight loss

btw heres some cheap and cheerful graphite grease: (probably not as fancy as the one BT uses but it works)
Graphite Grease, semi-solid Suitable for all uses 750g

its also good for the input splines on your gearbox to help stop the clutch seizing - a tin this size could last you years and years

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.