Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What effect would complete elimination of body roll give to handling?
Dave Ashurst

posted on 30/6/14 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
What effect would complete elimination of body roll give to handling?

On a three wheeler with two front wheels and one rear wheel, what if I could reduce body roll to zero. Would it be a good thing?
I mean if I made the front anti-roll totally rigid but still had full vertical suspension all round, would there be there any handling disadvantage?

Anything bad at all? Risk of tipping over without warning perhaps?

JC

posted on 30/6/14 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
I think a lot of (tadpole) three wheelers are really stiff in roll at the front - I seem to remember the indycycle had an arrangement with a mono shock that allowed virtually no roll!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wadders

posted on 30/6/14 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Just curious, but how would you totally eliminate roll while still maintaining useful suspension movement?

Al.

v8kid

posted on 30/6/14 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Just curious, but how would you totally eliminate roll while still maintaining useful suspension movement?

Al.

Both front wheels go up and down at the same time?

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 30/6/14 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Al.

How about a rigid frame that mounted both front wheels that allowed no twist. The whole thing could pivot allowing free vertical movement. I know what Dave is thinking and am interested to see what people think without giving the game away.

v8kid

posted on 30/6/14 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Ashurst
On a three wheeler with two front wheels and one rear wheel, what if I could reduce body roll to zero. Would it be a good thing?
I mean if I made the front anti-roll totally rigid but still had full vertical suspension all round, would there be there any handling disadvantage?

Anything bad at all? Risk of tipping over without warning perhaps?

Depends how bumpy the road is! For a thought exercise consider how the handling of a beam front axle (read truck) compares to independent suspension (read modern car)
Tipping over is hardly an issue with even the best of sticky three.
Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

JAG

posted on 30/6/14 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dave,

It's done today on some main stream cars - such as LandRover and Range Rover. It's called Active Roll Control.

It stops the body rolling during cornering and as such it's considered a comfort feature.

It can stop geometry change in the suspension when the body rolls and handling effects caused by that but it can't stop the weight transfer. Handling doesn't change directly because of this system.

Active Roll Control is done with an Anti-Roll bar and a Hydraulic actuator controlled by an ECU with a hydraulic pump and some valves.

It also reduces the drivers opportunities for sensing slip during limit handling manouvres. That means you can't tell what's happening when the car slides and it feels like the slide happens more abruptly with less warning.

It doesn't but most drivers rely upon the body roll to warn them or at least allow them to sense when the car is cornering hard and on-the-limit.

You need to tune the Slip-Control-System and the tyre grip-slip behaviour to make it manageable.

There's a lot more information HERE

[Edited on 30/6/14 by JAG]

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

whitestu

posted on 30/6/14 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Wasn't the Citroen Xantia Activa the quickest car through the elk test?

That had virtually no roll.

britishtrident

posted on 30/6/14 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Al.

Very easy just design the roll axis to pass through the cg.
The roll axis is a virtual line drawn between the front and rear roll centres.
In fact if the roll axis is above the cg height they body will lean into the corner like a motorcycle.

Both have been tried and found to result in very odd handling.

[Edited on 30/6/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 30/6/14 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think you'd tip over unless your CofG was high compared to your track width, but you may end up lifting a wheel off the ground if they cannot move independently. If they can move independently then you will get body roll unless, as BritishTrident says, you can get the CofG level to or beneath the roll axis (or use a active roll control). To be fair even without independent movement you will still get a small amount of body roll due to the flex in the tyres. Also if the wheels are rigidly linked you've basically got a live axle, and there's plenty of info on that subject!

If you wanted to use an active roll control system, there may be some mileage in that. I vaguely remember one of the F1 teams had something similar and it was disliked. If it allows you to keep your tyres vertical to the road then it helps maintain a large, and square contact patch. There is a fair amount of electrickery involve from what I know

In summary I don't think there'd be any benefit to a mechanical system - probably quite the opposite. However if you think you have a winning idea don't let me discourage you from trying it

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

Dave Ashurst

posted on 30/6/14 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for your excellent feedback. Very helpful food for thought and much appreciated.

I might need to buy myself some meccano.... unless you can suggest an alternative for modelling with!

best
D

nick205

posted on 30/6/14 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Ashurst
Thanks all for your excellent feedback. Very helpful food for thought and much appreciated.

I might need to buy myself some meccano.... unless you can suggest an alternative for modelling with!

best
D

Lego is excellent for this sort of thing. I recently built a model of a live axle setup with a panhard rod to demonstrate to my son.

Sam_68

posted on 2/7/14 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Plenty of vintage specials (cars like John Bolster's Bloody Mary) are very close to this condition.

With independent suspension the main problem is jacking as a result of the high roll centre (though this can be limited by limiting the available droop movement, albeit with side effects of its own).

With beam axles (as Bloody Mary and other low-slung vintage jobs with big wheels), there is no jacking effect, but the remaining problem is that the driver finds it more difficult to sense the build-up of lateral forces, hence the approaching limit of grip. Many single seaters have run so stiff in front roll that they effectively corner flat, though... you just need a top-notch driver who can judge and respond to other cues.

With a tadpole trike, bear in mind that if you run the front so stiff that it allows negligible roll (and assuming your roll axis isn't coincident with your CoG), some of the lateral weight transfer will be translated into compression of the rear spring, so it will tend to make the car squat rather than roll.

v8kid

posted on 3/7/14 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:

Plenty of vintage specials (cars like John Bolster's Bloody Mary) are very close to this condition.

With independent suspension the main problem is jacking as a result of the high roll centre (though this can be limited by limiting the available droop movement, albeit with side effects of its own).

With beam axles (as Bloody Mary and other low-slung vintage jobs with big wheels), there is no jacking effect, but the remaining problem is that the driver finds it more difficult to sense the build-up of lateral forces, hence the approaching limit of grip. Many single seaters have run so stiff in front roll that they effectively corner flat, though... you just need a top-notch driver who can judge and respond to other cues.

With a tadpole trike, bear in mind that if you run the front so stiff that it allows negligible roll (and assuming your roll axis isn't coincident with your CoG), some of the lateral weight transfer will be translated into compression of the rear spring, so it will tend to make the car squat rather than roll.

I can't quite get my head round this could you expand? Do you mean if the front and rear slip angles are different the lateral force is not at right angles to the centerline and there will be a longitudinal component acting through the c of g. Surely this will be proportional to the slip angles at small angles and negligible?
Cheers!

scudderfish

posted on 3/7/14 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher
If you wanted to use an active roll control system, there may be some mileage in that. I vaguely remember one of the F1 teams had something similar and it was disliked. If it allows you to keep your tyres vertical to the road then it helps maintain a large, and square contact patch. There is a fair amount of electrickery involve from what I know

scudderfish

posted on 3/7/14 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
Here's another more informative vid

britishtrident

posted on 3/7/14 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
quote:
quote:

I can't quite get my head round this could you expand? Do you mean if the front and rear slip angles are different the lateral force is not at right angles to the centerline and there will be a longitudinal component acting through the c of g. Surely this will be proportional to the slip angles at small angles and negligible?
Cheers!

More to do with the lateral disposition of the wheels relative to the vehicle centre line.

Easier to get your head around if you think about it reversed ie. a normal trike, a kids pedal trike or Reliant style 3 wheeler.
Corner one of those on the limit and as the inside rear starts to lift the weight transferred not only to the rear outside but also to to front wheel increases...... which is why convention 3 wheelers have nasty reputation for flipping over.

The reverse trike configuration is of course more stable

[/I]

v8kid

posted on 3/7/14 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cheers!

More to do with the lateral disposition of the wheels relative to the vehicle centre line.

Easier to get your head around if you think about it reversed ie. a normal trike, a kids pedal trike or Reliant style 3 wheeler.
Corner one of those on the limit and as the inside rear starts to lift the weight transferred not only to the rear outside but also to to front wheel increases...... which is why convention 3 wheelers have nasty reputation for flipping over.

The reverse trike configuration is of course more stable

Nope that can't be the explanation if that were the case the weight would be transferred towards the two wheel end!

Cheers!

Sam_68

posted on 3/7/14 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Cheers!

Is it the lateral weight transfer/squat bit you're struggling with?

Easy way to visualise it is to:
* Imagine a trike with a bit of string tied to its centre of gravity (the point at which lateral forces will be acting on the sprung mass when you're cornering). The piece of string represents the lateral cornering force. Imagine that the steering is locked and the outside front wheel is glued to the ground so it can never slide.
* Pull directly sideways on the bit of string until the opposite ('inside' ) front wheel just lifts of the ground (and lets assume it doesn't slide first). This represents the point at which you've got 100% load transfer.
* All the weight that was on the inside wheel has now gone somewhere else... it's now being carried by the other wheels, yes?
* You will hopefully be able to visualise that if the CoG was actually on the front axle centreline, that weight would have simply transferred, 100%, straight over to the other front wheel. But the CoG will never be that far forward.
* If the CoG was in front of the front axle line (even less likely, but bear with me), you will hopefully be able to visualise that pulling on a piece of string attached to it would not only transfer all the weight from the 'inside' front wheel onto the outer front wheel, but it will have pulled some of the weight from the rear wheel forward onto the outside front, too. Assuming it didn't slide first, if you kept on pulling the car would eventually tip across and forward so that both the rear and inside front wheels are off the ground, and it's balanced entirely on the outside front.
* Now think about what happens if the CoG is behind the front axle line (which is what we have in reality). Pulling on that piece of string attached to it will pull weight from the inside front wheel, partly onto the outside front, but also partly backward onto the rear wheel.
* That extra weight being pulled onto the rear wheel will compress the spring and cause the car to squat a bit.

Simples?

[Edited on 3/7/14 by Sam_68]

Sam_68

posted on 3/7/14 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Here's another more informative vid

Amazing to think that a tiny company like Lotus were achieving this over 30 years ago, isn't it?

Think where we might have been if the FIA hadn't effectively smothered it at birth by banning active suspension in F1...

CNHSS1

posted on 3/7/14 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of single seater race cars use near zero roll front setups, often coupled with a monoshock. Both pushrods connect to the monoshock, with Belleville washers to allowaa a tad of sideways movement. Does make for a car that needs a near perfect prepared ssurface though! Anything used on the road is unlikely to be suitable in imho

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

Sam_68

posted on 3/7/14 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, monoshocks are interesting and a bit of a black art. I'm not going to say too much about what I think I know about how they work, other than to say that they're not quite as compromised on bumpy surfaces as you might expect... which explains why, contrary to all expectations, they've become very successful on relatively bumpy and steeply cambered UK hillclimb tracks in recent years.

Monoshock or not, there has been a trend in recent years for for single seaters to run very stiff in roll at the front and very soft in roll at the back, making them almost analogous to tadpole trikes, in fact, in terms of weight transfer characteristics.

smart51

posted on 4/7/14 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
For balance, here's a different point of view from an autocar test driver.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/anything-goes/pleasures-body-roll-and-why-peugeots-new-108-has-got-it-right

britishtrident

posted on 4/7/14 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
One of the features that made the original Range Rover work was the roll-centres were located high enough to allow relatively soft wheel rates without using anti-roll bars, endowing with it both saloon car like road manners and good off road traction.

[/I]

CNHSS1

posted on 4/7/14 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yes, monoshocks are interesting and a bit of a black art. I'm not going to say too much about what I think I know about how they work, other than to say that they're not quite as compromised on bumpy surfaces as you might expect... which explains why, contrary to all expectations, they've become very successful on relatively bumpy and steeply cambered UK hillclimb tracks in recent years.

Monoshock or not, there has been a trend in recent years for for single seaters to run very stiff in roll at the front and very soft in roll at the back, making them almost analogous to tadpole trikes, in fact, in terms of weight transfer characteristics.

Youre right, often what circuit racers can see as negatives with zero droop, uber stiff in roll single seater monoshock front ends, hillclimbers see as an advantage. Often see the run off guys waving a wheel in the air, doing most of their cornering on one front wheel which along with more Ackermann can help to put temp into the tyres on short runs such as hillclimbs. Most hills SS use mega soft rear ends with a 3rd spring setup to stop it dragging its bum like a dog with worms, as the aero loads add to the springing demands of the soft corner coilovers. as theres no minimium weight limit, most of the fast SS are monoshock as its one less damper to 'carry' and often the 3rd spring at the rear is made up of bump rubbers rather than a steel spring for same reason. GWJs Raptor is a lovely design both F&R

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.