Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What effect would complete elimination of body roll give to handling?
Sam_68

posted on 4/7/14 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
One of the features that made the original Range Rover work was the roll-centres were located high enough to allow relatively soft wheel rates without using anti-roll bars...

... and beam axles both ends, of course, so it didn't have any problem with jacking.

You could tell it had a beam axle at the front, mind you, from the steering feedback but I guess it's a personal thing whether that bothered you or not. I could never quite decide whether the crudity of it was annoying, or charming!

Smart51 is right though - it's easy to take up a negative attitude against body roll without really considering why you think it's a problem. Fair enough if you need to maintain a stable aero platform on a single seater, but the old Lotus Elan was very soft in both bump and roll, yet it remains a joy to drive that makes most modern 'Seven' types look like fidgety boneshakers in comparison.

quote:
Originally posted by CNHSS1GWJs Raptor is a lovely design both F&R

As it happens, quite a bit of my early modelling and analysis to develop a personal understanding of how monoshocks function was based on the Raptor, as I have access to the CAD drawings of the car. It is a lovely design, but I admire the PCD Saxon (also by MBO) even more - it's a jewel.

Martin Ogilvie is a hugely under-rated designer, in my opinion, who deserves a lot more recognition.

Sam_68

posted on 4/7/14 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CNHSS1...Most hills SS use mega soft rear ends with a 3rd spring setup to stop it dragging its bum like a dog with worms...

Have you by any chance seen the rear end of the latest Empire (with Willem Toet aero package)?

I haven't had much chance to get out to the Hills this year, and I only managed to catch a very brief glimpse of it at Prescott as the rear cover was going back on. What I think I saw was a 'fully floating' transverse monoshock (ie. giving no roll resistance at all - even from the road springs).

Discussion with the driver suggested that this may indeed be the case, though he was either completely clueless about the suspension set-up of his car or (more likely!) playing dumb to avoid giving too much away...

I don't suppose you've seen enough of it to confirm?

CNHSS1

posted on 4/7/14 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have a couple of mates running Force cars, LM and PT so have seen them develop more. When Lee Adms was running the raptor I was struck just how simple and u cluttered it was, looked easy for a clubman to work on and maintain too, looked like a small component count and ran 3rd spring via bump rubbers GW junior said it was purely to be lighter than a spring and most decent damper firms have data sheets for their bump rubbers (think raptor ran ohlins or penske iirc).

I've seen the empire in its semi closed form a few events and subsequently in its tunneled and full aero form (looks like darth vaders weekend track toy lol) but never seen it with the bodywork off tbh. It does look well sorted, not the car that's being stripped and fiddled with every 5 mins. I shall pop up to loton next weekend as its 3 mins fromhome but im not competing so will take a camera and have a squint. Wi post up if i get any pics.
The idea of the floppy rears probably not as daft as it sounds given an uber stiff front end, should give mega traction off launch and out of the tight cambered corners, thinking of Pardon at Prescott especially, thats one that makes most single seaters look like tesco trolleys!

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.