Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VIVA and Chevette Front upright and ball joint?
johnl63

posted on 3/7/14 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
VIVA and Chevette Front upright and ball joint?

Hi
Im rebuilding a chevron classic in New Zealand. This is a seven with a viva front end. I am putting mx5 running gear though it with the sub frame in the rear. The issue I have is that the front hubs (viva) are 101.6 pcd and I want to have matching wheels (MX5) front and back at 100mm pcd. I was told that the vauxhall chevette front upright was a straight swap item. I swapped out the uprights. The viva ball joints were shot so i didnt take a good look at them. however I have now got replacement viva ball joints and they are loose in the upright.
I hoped that the chevette ball joint would fit but
I looked at the specs of the chevette lwr ball and its 41.5mm shank and the viva arm hole is 38.8mm

any ideas on how to make this work, doing my head in

build diary http://www.lotus7.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2970

[Edited on 3/7/14 by johnl63]

blakep82

posted on 4/7/14 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know, but some traingulation in that chassis is essential in my opinion :/

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

johnl63

posted on 9/7/14 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
yeah the chassis were never built with triangulation, its not a light space frame. Its 38mm x 38 x3mm square tubes. heaps of them built in the 80s and still going strong.

my other solution for the hubs was to put the viva hubs back in after increasing the stud size and milling holes to 100 pcd.

CNHSS1

posted on 9/7/14 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
on the chevette uprights there is more than one taper size, the majority are one size and then theres a smaller size (poverty spec or early model?). Alternatively the Manta has a similar 100mm setup and uses different ball joint tapers to some.

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.