Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can anybody identify these wishbones (amazing drawing inside)
edthedrummer

posted on 12/7/14 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Can anybody identify these wishbones (amazing drawing inside)

Hello,

I'm looking to source replacement wishbones for my locost project, after a friend suffered a major failure on his identically equipped locost. I believe them to be early MK locost items although I am not 100% sure.

Here are the amazing drawings I promised:

Untitled by Edward Ashton, on Flickr

Whilst I am thinking about having them remade, would rose joints be a worthwhile addition?

Ed

Myke 2463

posted on 12/7/14 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Look like early MK to me.

Be Lucky Mike.

MsD

posted on 12/7/14 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
IM afraid that I cant help but i have an identical set on my 7. Any more details on the failure?

Mark.

edthedrummer

posted on 12/7/14 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MsD
IM afraid that I cant help but i have an identical set on my 7. Any more details on the failure?

Mark.

Mark,

I've copied the post that covered it below.

quote:
Originally posted by DannyScarbro
Unfortunatly the first update is not the best one!

On my 5th day of ownership I had one of the front wishbones snap, resulting in the wheel folding under, and bending the coilover.

Luckily it collapsed when I was taking the car at the garage or it could have been alot worse.

As you can imagine this was a big shock and scared the life out of me, its amazing how your trust in a car and seller can change so suddenly.

The damage;

After doing abit of research and speaking to a few people I decided to take no chances and replace the whole set of front wishbones. So I ordered a full set of brand new arms from MK direct.

Unfortunatly the arms were going to take a few weeks to arrive, so to make use of the time it was going to be off the road i decided to start the transformation of the aesthetics.

Dan

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/7/14 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
yeah just like the set on my MK kit, tubes too thin. Never was very impressed with the design
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dick Axtell

posted on 13/7/14 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Those Lower Wishbones - Again!

After I read loadsa comments about these early type wishbones, I got the later oval tube type from MK.

Here's a pic showing a Luego example on left, and the MK early version on right.
Old_Style_Wbones
Old_Style_Wbones

Just for comparison here's the later Luego version, with some Aussie-recommended load-spreading plates. Not welded in pic.
Lu_Wbone_02
Lu_Wbone_02

[Edited on 13/7/14 by Dick Axtell]

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 13/7/14 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
From the quote below im going to rant.

I feel somewhat upset that the owner of said vehicle seems to infer that the original seller of the vehicle was somehow complicit in the failure !!

It would be quite obvious and reasonable to assume that the wishbones in question came with the "kit" unless the original seller made them himself, but if the parts are indeed MK manufactured then how can the trust in the original seller be diminished as its not his/her fault the effing thing snapped now is it ?

I think "DannyScarbro" needs to go and apologize to "red eye" as its most apparent who's car it is.

quote:
Originally posted by DannyScarbro
Unfortunatly the first update is not the best one!

On my 5th day of ownership I had one of the front wishbones snap, resulting in the wheel folding under, and bending the coilover.

Luckily it collapsed when I was taking the car at the garage or it could have been alot worse.

As you can imagine this was a big shock and scared the life out of me, its amazing how your trust in a car and seller can change so suddenly.

The damage;

After doing abit of research and speaking to a few people I decided to take no chances and replace the whole set of front wishbones. So I ordered a full set of brand new arms from MK direct.

Unfortunatly the arms were going to take a few weeks to arrive, so to make use of the time it was going to be off the road i decided to start the transformation of the aesthetics.

Dan

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

edthedrummer

posted on 13/7/14 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hector.Brocklebank

I feel somewhat upset that the owner of said vehicle seems to infer that the original seller of the vehicle was somehow complicit in the failure !!

It would be quite obvious and reasonable to assume that the wishbones in question came with the "kit" unless the original seller made them himself, but if the parts are indeed MK manufactured then how can the trust in the original seller be diminished as its not his/her fault the effing thing snapped now is it ?

I think "DannyScarbro" needs to go and apologize to "red eye" as its most apparent who's car it is.

Alright chap calm down,

This thread is not the place to discuss this, I am not here to start wars.

Ed

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 14/7/14 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edthedrummer
quote:
Originally posted by Hector.Brocklebank

Alright chap calm down,

This thread is not the place to discuss this, I am not here to start wars.

Ed

Neither am I, but to out and say what the "gent" typed is bang out of order (And by the way this thread is where I first saw the comment, so thats where I replied to it)

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

Slimy38

posted on 14/7/14 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
It's interesting that Dannyscrabro's thread does mention that he approached MK and they deny all knowledge, whereas there are several people on here that recognise them as 'early MK'?

Ed, are you also reviewing the chassis? It looks to be an early Ron Champion design, but it's been chopped about a bit. That lower cross member looks to have been altered, and you're missing some triangulation on the sides of the engine bay.

edthedrummer

posted on 14/7/14 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
It's interesting that Dannyscrabro's thread does mention that he approached MK and they deny all knowledge, whereas there are several people on here that recognise them as 'early MK'?

Ed, are you also reviewing the chassis? It looks to be an early Ron Champion design, but it's been chopped about a bit. That lower cross member looks to have been altered, and you're missing some triangulation on the sides of the engine bay.

Hello!

Yes I am doing, the lower cross member has been altered but it doesn't worry me too much, and I cut the triangulation out as it had started to corrode where the previous exhaust manifold had been chafing on it It will be replaced in good time

Ed

Slimy38

posted on 14/7/14 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hello!

Yes I am doing, the lower cross member has been altered but it doesn't worry me too much, and I cut the triangulation out as it had started to corrode where the previous exhaust manifold had been chafing on it It will be replaced in good time

Ed

Good to hear!! I would tend to agree, on closer inspection the previous owner has moved it for space but not necessarily compromised on it's intended job which is to brace the suspension supports. Just another one (you probably already have it planned), on mine I've also braced the front upper bracket, I really didn't like how only half of it was on the upright.

By the way, the suspension you sold me cleaned up really nicely, thank you! The damping adjustment is still very effective, I may need to change the springs depending on my corner weights but I expected that anyway. With any luck I might fit it this side of Christmas!

edthedrummer

posted on 14/7/14 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Hello!

Ed

Good to hear!! I would tend to agree, on closer inspection the previous owner has moved it for space but not necessarily compromised on it's intended job which is to brace the suspension supports. Just another one (you probably already have it planned), on mine I've also braced the front upper bracket, I really didn't like how only half of it was on the upright.

By the way, the suspension you sold me cleaned up really nicely, thank you! The damping adjustment is still very effective, I may need to change the springs depending on my corner weights but I expected that anyway. With any luck I might fit it this side of Christmas!

Nope, it seems solid enough still. I may well replace it with a straight section, depending how I feel when the time comes. I have added an extra small length of box behind the over hang of the rear upper mounts on the front of the chassis like you, I wasn't a fan of the overhang!!

Glad to hear it!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.