Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: take off a Sierra diff
xico_ze54

posted on 25/7/14 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
take off a Sierra diff

hi all

how can we take off a Sierra diff to make an exchange to another ratio, without disassemble the whole rear sub-structure? (the diff is a non-lobro type, only splined attached)

my main concern is if it is possible to take off the shafts without special tools, or: what is the easiest way?

thanks in advance
Amadeu

[Edited on 25/7/14 by xico_ze54]

http://www.viseudesign.com/Sevenesque-36.htm

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 25/7/14 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
If you have lobro style shafts you may be able to undo the bolts and get enough clearance to drop the diff out the bottom, though you may need to take the weight off the rear wheels to do so. If you've got the clearance just undo the drive shaft and the diff two bolts (or the bracket bolts I guess) and the diff should come free- probably best to have something underneath it supporting it though!
BTW I've not tried this myself, it's a question of if you can get the clearance on the drive shafts. Otherwise I don't think any special tools are required for disassembly, but a torque wrench will be needed when re-attaching the nut on the uprights.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

xico_ze54

posted on 25/7/14 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher
If you have lobro style shafts you may be able to undo the bolts and get enough clearance to drop the diff out the bottom, though you may need to take the weight off the rear wheels to do so. If you've got the clearance just undo the drive shaft and the diff two bolts (or the bracket bolts I guess) and the diff should come free- probably best to have something underneath it supporting it though!
BTW I've not tried this myself, it's a question of if you can get the clearance on the drive shafts. Otherwise I don't think any special tools are required for disassembly, but a torque wrench will be needed when re-attaching the nut on the uprights.

it's not lobro type, it's PUSH-IN type, like in most rear drum brake Sierras.

http://www.viseudesign.com/Sevenesque-36.htm

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 25/7/14 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, sorry if I missed that it was non-lobro, I was in a bit of a hurry. OK, well in that case the easiest way is probably to undo the hub from the wishbones - undoing either the top or bottom bolts may give you enough play to withdraw the drive shaft from the diff, undo both (and the shock mount) and you can move the assembly a fair amount, dependent upon brake hoses and handbrake cable.
The drive shaft on the hub side is held on by a nut, which also holds the rotors into the hub. This is quite easy to undo (with a long enough bar and the brakes on) and will allow the drive shaft to be removed from the hub, however be careful as the rotor assembly will no longer be firmly attached. As mentioned before, a torque wrench is required when reattaching these nuts.

Hope that helps.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

jossey

posted on 25/7/14 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
jack car up
remove the wheels at the back
take of the top wishbones from the chassis or hubs.
See if you can rotate the hubs so the shafts pop out.

If so then you just unbolt the prop and the 2 long bolts from the Diff and it will come out.

If you cant get it out with just the top wishbones detached you need to remove the bottom ones. (Obviously be careful with brake lines etc...)

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.