Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: replacing discs on cortina uprights
02GF74

posted on 27/7/14 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
replacing discs on cortina uprights

Does the hub need to come off to do this?

I believe there are 4 bolts holding the disc to the hub, so if hub has to come off, how do you hold the hub to be able to undo the bolts?

designer

posted on 27/7/14 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
The bolts holding the discs are off-centre so there is usually no problem. Use two hands, one holding the socket and the other the handle.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 27/7/14 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, hub off.

Undo wheel, remove.
Remove dust cap, remove split pin, remove castle washer.
Remove brake caliper (2 bolts to rear held with lock tab washer plate).
Undo hub nut, pull disc and hub from stub axle.
Stuff clean rag into centre rear bearing. (stops rust and $hite getting into bearing)
Undo disc bolts (9/16ths IIRC) and persuade disc to separate from hub.
Clean rear hub face. Compare old and new discs for diameter and off-set, reassemble in reverse order, re-grease hub if needed, applying appropriate torque settings.
The hub nut is best torqued by hand using the right sized nut on a "T" bar centred with two fingers either side of the "T" piece and your arm straight behind hand using ONLY the force you can use by rotating your arm, until tight, then back off the nut a half flat and lock in place with castle washer and split pin.

I hope this makes sense and I hope I'm not trying to teach grandma to suck eggs.

JGG

Edit bit
OH and the other bit you asked about.

When I used to do this at home, I used to bolt the loose hub back onto the wheel, laying the assembly wheel down/back of hub up on the ground seated on the ground with my legs around the wheel using a breaker bar across the centre of the hub (its all about leverage and moments of inertia, some of my school physics did rub off and prove to be useful. )

[Edited on 27/7/14 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

02GF74

posted on 27/7/14 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
OH and the other bit you asked about.

When I used to do this at home, I used to bolt the loose hub back onto the wheel, laying the assembly wheel down/back of hub up on the ground seated on the ground with my legs around the wheel using a breaker bar across the centre of the hub (its all about leverage and moments of inertia, some of my school physics did rub off and prove to be useful. )

[Edited on 27/7/14 by jollygreengiant]

thanks all ^^^ that is a good tip. I expect that to be the fun part.

daviep

posted on 27/7/14 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Put the disc in the vice to slacken the bolts, use soft jaws to avoid marking the new disc when fitting.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

02GF74

posted on 29/7/14 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Very easy to do. Socket and reversible ratchet on and tap with timmy ....
Iis what I call my mallet.

Discs just delivered so should be back on in a jiffy .... still waiting for pads...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.