Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: advice on spring selection
02GF74

posted on 9/8/14 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
advice on spring selection

background: formula 27 kit car fitted with triumph dolomite rear suspension which is far too hard.

I have found 2.5 in coils (65 mm) that may fit (so no need to get the grinder out!"

Free length of my coils is: 291 mm (11.5 in)

I cannot get the exact length so which will be the better choice (spring seats are non adjustable)
10.5 in (267 mm) or 12.0 in (305 mm)? (24 mm shorter or 14 mm longer)

What would be a suitable spring rate for road use?

rusty nuts

posted on 9/8/14 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Convert to coil overs? I wouldn't be surprised if the strings have become compressed with age so it may be that the longer spring is the ones you need provided you can get it compressed to fit ?
02GF74

posted on 9/8/14 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Length of spring fitted with wheels on the ground is 240mm (9.5".

If f I jack up one wheel, the difference in spring compression as measufed by gap between tyre and arch - s small, in region of 5 mm , surely that is far too small indicating springs are too hard.!?!?!!???!!????!!!???

Spring rate anyone?

I have rear axle weight noted is there a way to work it our allowing weight of driver and passrnget?

[Edited on 9/8/14 by 02GF74]

Sam_68

posted on 9/8/14 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Spring rate anyone?

I have rear axle weight noted is there a way to work it our allowing weight of driver and passenger?

If you know your corner weights, you can work out the spring weight by measuring the length of the spring when the weight of the car is sitting on it, on level ground (you may need to put the car on ramps to gain sufficient access to measure the spring), then subtracting that from the free length of the spring. That gives you the compression.

Just divide the spring compression measurement into the corner weight of the car, and hey presto, you have the spring rate!

Alternatively (though rather less accurately), take the spring off and measure the length with you (or a similarly hefty known weight) standing on it. Divide the spring compression into your weight from your bathroom scales, and you have an indication of the spring rate. For example, I'm a fat bastard at about 230lbs, so if I stand on a spring and it compresses by 1.35", the spring rate would be 230/1.35 = 170lbs/inch.

Note that 'spring rate' is not the same as 'wheel rate', though... you'll have to take some more measurements and figure out the leverages for that.

I agree with Rusty Nuts, though... the only proper way to deal with the problem is to fit dampers with adjustable spring seats. The odds are against you finding a spring of the right rate and length to give you exactly the right spring rate and ride height you want, whilst working with the dimensions of your fixed seat dampers and the measurements of the chassis and axle mountings. But even if you fit some adjustable dampers, you would still be wise to do some rough sums to work out approximately the right free length of springs you need to suite the dampers lengths at normal ride height.

alfas

posted on 17/8/14 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

If f I jack up one wheel, the difference in spring compression as measufed by gap between tyre and arch - s small, in region of 5 mm , surely that is far too small indicating springs are too hard.!?!?!!???!!????!!!???

[Edited on 9/8/14 by 02GF74]

i rather think that "something" else is limiting the described gap:

either your shocks are already fully expaned or the axle might already touch a chassis-tube and therefore limiting the travel of the shock.

best you post a pick of your actual arrangement.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.