Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rosberg (F1 spoiler?)
mookaloid

posted on 25/8/14 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Rosberg (F1 spoiler?)

Rosberg - turning out to be quite a piece of work.

A bit more subtle than Schumacher perhaps but clearly determined to win the championship by any means possible.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

martylemoo

posted on 25/8/14 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Since when was Motorsport anything other than dirty? Those that win at all costs, win! It's a simple philosophy that follows from grass roots to the big boys in F1.
Slimy38

posted on 25/8/14 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
I was more wondering about Hamilton's 'retirement', was it actually damage or merely a toys out the pram moment?
JoelP

posted on 25/8/14 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
I don't believe for a moment that Lewis chose to retire when he didn't need to, that's daft. He's taken points from the back of the grid so he wouldn't give up unless he had to.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

CNHSS1

posted on 25/8/14 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I was more wondering about Hamilton's 'retirement', was it actually damage or merely a toys out the pram moment?

hes already one engine down on mileage compared to Nico, so when it was clear he couldnt score points it was a good move to suggest they retire the car and not risk another engine that may become vital near the end of the season (7 more races to go).

I don't think Nico clipped Lewis intentionally, but do think he realised if he didn't make a strong move in the first couple of laps as Lewis had beaten off the line, all would be lost as he'd never see Lewis's car again!

The media all want to see it as intentionally taking out Lewis but that's ludicrous imho

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

Slimy38

posted on 25/8/14 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CNHSS1
so when it was clear he couldnt score points

Was it clear though? The guy had turned a last place start to a podium finish, I doubt anyone could ever say it was going to be a no-pointer.

jacko

posted on 25/8/14 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

hes already one engine down on mileage compared to Nico, so when it was clear he couldnt score points it was a good move to suggest they retire the car and not risk another engine that may become vital near the end of the season (7 more races to go).

I don't think Nico clipped Lewis intentionally, but do think he realised if he didn't make a strong move in the first couple of laps as Lewis had beaten off the line, all would be lost as he'd never see Lewis's car again!

The media all want to see it as intentionally taking out Lewis but that's ludicrous imho

Thats how i see it too

It's racing after all
It's a shame after a great race all the talk is about a racing incident

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 25/8/14 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Sorry, I disagree! There was plenty of run-off once he realised it was a no-go, and watching the replay several times you can see the turn-in after the attempt. Also see here

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Mr C

posted on 25/8/14 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The car was damaged, the flailing tyre damagd some of the aero, along with the bottom scrapping along the road. He was struggling to catch up with some of the slower cars. Arguably he could have circulated to the end, though he had enough damage to warrant a retirement. The big wigs monitor retirements for damage, to ensure they are genuine otherwise you'd potentially only get 10 cars finishing at each race, which would'nt make for good viewing.

[Edited on 25/8/14 by Mr C]

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

CNHSS1

posted on 25/8/14 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
quote:

Sorry, I disagree! There was plenty of run-off once he realised it was a no-go, and watching the replay several times you can see the turn-in after the attempt. Also see here

look at Lewis's front wheels they re turned to the same degree, its a right hander after all. I agree, rosberg could have opened the steering and run wide/off to avoid the accident, but he was trying to make the corner (understandably). he clipped the rear tyre by a few inches, all of which is unsighted as he cant see the wing from his viewpoint (ignore incar camera perspective, its mounted approx. 6-8inches above the drivers eyeline).

Lewis (if he could see Nico in his mirrors) could also have given him room, but that wasn't likely either lol

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

CNHSS1

posted on 25/8/14 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
so when it was clear he couldnt score points

Was it clear though? The guy had turned a last place start to a podium finish, I doubt anyone could ever say it was going to be a no-pointer.

by mid to 2/3rds distance I think it was a cert he wouldn't score meaningful points. Once the likely threat of rain had gone, then the lack of a safety car to bunch them back up, reduced his chances further. Eeven the back markers he was having to fight to keep up with, let alone pass. The left rear floor was shot from the flailing tyre, so there would be sod-all aero grip at that corner from the undercar aero, so the thing woulve handled like a supermarket trolley with a wonky wheel. He couldn't exploit any of the Mercs power advantages even though he was using the decent engine mode (not turned down like when the mercs are leading easily). I think it showed some maturity to realise that a couple of points potentially, wasn't worth the risk to an engine (given he lost one with the fire) or the gearbox (flailing tyres tend to rip the suspension mounts off the gearbox needing a change and grid drop next race).

No ones suggesting Lewis wasn't capable of a podium or even race win from the back of the grid, but not in a stricken car imho, even hes not that good ( and im a fan!)

[Edited on 25/8/14 by CNHSS1]

jollygreengiant

posted on 25/8/14 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm NOT coming down on EITHER side of the "discussion", but my point would be this.
These are supposed to be the "best" drivers in the world, millimeter perfect, lap after lap, driving their cars to as perfect a lap "delta" (or we are told) time, again lap after lap. I find it hard to "believe" that these drivers DO NOT know exactly where the corners of their cars are. I also find it believable that a driver would know where his front wing end plate (lots of lovely stiff sharp carbon) was and that a driver would know that a slight rear wheel kiss with the end plate would give the other car a puncture. This would also be best "done" just after the pit exit as it's then the maximum run to the pits with the greatest risk floor damage. Ok I'd have damage to my front wing, best case it would make no real change to my delta, worst case I have to change my wing. The KNOW their cars, they are the tools of their trade. Just think how well YOU know the tools of your trade.

Right, I'm off to get my popcorn now.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.