Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Play in Sierra diff input flange on splines
grist_e

posted on 27/8/14 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Play in Sierra diff input flange on splines

Hi all i am looking for some advise to possibly save me wasting my time and paint .

I am building a Tiger Avon and using the standard Sierra diff (3.9xx and push in shafts if it makes any difference..)

i have recently got myself a second diff (foolishly trying to disassemble the first one to clean and paint it wasn't a good idea it turns out)

Whilst painting the new diff in tact i noticed some play in the flange on the input splines now when i say play it is in rotation and probably only about half to 1 degree of play (i can try and measure it if more accurate figures are needed)

When i checked the first diff i had no play at all, i have tried swapping the flanges between the diffs and either way the first one has no play second one still has the 1 degree of play.

to my simple mind this either means the input shaft splines on diff number 2 are worn (but somehow can't believe this) or they just have large ish tolerance levels for manufacture (again cant believe this either)

Anyone able to shed any light on this phenomenon before i find myself with a beautifully painted but useless diff?

much appreciated
Craig

Craig

One man on his mission to spend as long as he can in that garage till completion or divorce whichever comes soonest

laptoprob

posted on 4/9/14 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Hi mate,

didnt realise that you had swapped the flanges. Id say that the flange is probably worn then after reading this so would go with the one you first bought from Jossy as mentioned last night especially as this one isnt leaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajlF4nWJtGA

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.