Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are these rear uprights for discs or drum? Thanks
MBrown

posted on 29/8/14 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Are these rear uprights for discs or drum? Thanks

Hi all, I got some rear uprights from someone free as part of buying something else and was just wondering whether they are for drum or disc brakes? I think they are for drum but Gillham Online has confused me as their picture of rear disc uprights

http://www.gillhamonline.co.uk/shop/article_50/Haynes-Roadster-Rear-Disk-Upright.html?sessid=gyuk1v tJ2VyEUo9raFvobsDy3VhazmvgpxCx9xUHXlxifTQfsNcOEIZzv9wvCv2C&shop_param=cid%3D10%26aid%3D50%26

don't have the additional part for connecting the callipers to?

The one's I have got are:

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e3/mark_db8 7/e62ef6d6-26b6-4a4a-9b20-250724a11359_zps4cacc7be.jpg

So are mine for disc or drum brakes? Thanks for the help ppl

[Edited on 29/8/14 by MBrown]

kingster996

posted on 29/8/14 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Look like drum ones to me. You can always fit a bracket for discs if you haven't got any though.

Just looked at your other pic. Was going to say disc ones are angled, so yes first lot are for drum.

[Edited on 29/8/14 by kingster996]

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

MBrown

posted on 29/8/14 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
That's not a bad idea, so maybe a bracket attached to the uprights to suit the discs/calipers I have. Could save me the hassle of selling these and buying others, thanks
kingster996

posted on 29/8/14 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure. If you have disc hubs, they have caliper mounts on. Of you have drum hubs then you can volt on a bracket. I have drums with a bracket can take pics tomorrow.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

loggyboy

posted on 29/8/14 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Bolt spacing is the same for both drums and discs. Its just the extra 2 bolt holes that are needed for calipers, these are sometimes part if the upright or sometimes part of a combined spacer/bracket or the original sierra bearing carrier.

Mistral Motorsport

MBrown

posted on 29/8/14 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Pics of the bracket would be greatly appreciated, I'll have a look at the hubs I've got and think about the best way to do it, thanks all
Talon Motorsport

posted on 29/8/14 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Those are set at 30' so that both drum and disk set ups can be used by the same upright. By setting them at that angle the hand brake cable that comes out of the back plate clears the edge of UR1 instead of trying to put a 90' bend in to the cable. Sierra and Granada mk3 rear disk brake bearing carriers have the caliper mounting lugs as part of the casting.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big-vee-twin

posted on 29/8/14 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
[img] Rear Caliper Bracket
Rear Caliper Bracket
[/img]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

MBrown

posted on 30/8/14 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the help, I also got a really helpful reply from gillham online to the email I sent them asking about theirs, they were very helpful even though it meant they didn't get a sale in the end! I had almost put my uprights for sale, glad I didn't

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.