Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra handbrake caliper disassembly
OliilO

posted on 17/10/14 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra handbrake caliper disassembly

I've developed a slight leak from one of the rear calipers on my car, which I think I have identified as being from the seal for the handbrake actuator shaft.

Once the spring age retaining bolt are removed, should the shaft just pull out or do I need to dismantle the whole caliper to release the shaft?

Thanks.
Oli

CosKev3

posted on 17/10/14 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Oli
Complete strip down I'm afraid.
that external seal is not meant to be sealing the fluid into the caliper, thats just a seal to stop crap getting down the sides of the shaft.
One of the internal O rings must be leaking if you are getting brake fluid out of the shaft seal.
I've stripped and rebuilt both of mine, pain in the arse job tbh.
I would get it refurbed by the likes of Bigg Red etc if I need to do any again!

[Edited on 17/10/14 by CosKev3]

mark chandler

posted on 17/10/14 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
When mine go south I will get some VAG callipers, lighter, smaller and by eBay prices much cheaper!

someone will be along to,tell you what's involved if you go this way, I believe the mountings remain but you may need a different offset disc.

OliilO

posted on 17/10/14 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
I was hoping after looking at a Haynes excerpt that it would be a matter of just pulling out the shaft and replacing the o-ring, but clearly not. Is the shaft keyed into something in the caliper as I can pull it out about 10mm before it refuses to come out anymore.

Mark; I did look at it as a possible opportunity to get some Wilwoods for the rear, but given the prices I can't justify it. I'll have a look at the VAG route for the future.

CosKev3

posted on 17/10/14 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah there is a cut out in shaft about half way down, and a rod from the spring assembly behind piston locates into it.
so to get shaft out you need to remove piston, then compress the spring assembly, remove a circlip that is a right puss to get to, remove spring assembly, remove another circlip, then remove the rod that locates into shaft.

OliilO

posted on 17/10/14 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Think that might be tomorrow morning's task! Ideally need to get the MOT retest done tomorrow, but I can see it being a frustrating endeavour... Most annoying is that I'd never noticed it leaking before it was tested last week.

I've read that a small socket and a g clamp is useful as an impromptu spring compressor, so will give that a go if necessary.

CosKev3

posted on 17/10/14 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thats what I used.
the hard part is removing the circlip whilst the socket and g-clamp are in the way compressing the spring.
you need some long thin circlip pliers.
if you damage the circlip they are £7 each from Bigg Red!!!

OliilO

posted on 18/10/14 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Well... It's back together now and so far doesn't appear to be leaking so I'm optimistic!

I found getting the circlip out, but getting the spring cover back in the right place to be a fiddle. Spent about an hour and a bit trying to get it back in to no avail, turns out that I had slightly bent one of the lugs on removal meaning that it wouldn't sit properly. Then it went in first go. Definitely a bit fiddly though!

CosKev3

posted on 19/10/14 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Nice one.
Did you fit a full refurb/seal kit?

OliilO

posted on 19/10/14 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, used one of the kits from Bigg Red. Think I'll leave the other side for now though!
CosKev3

posted on 19/10/14 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote

Did you find the left over little O ring that is inside the actual piston assembly?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.