New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: any good quality cheapish coil overs what make
bart

posted on 18/11/14 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
any good quality cheapish coil overs what make

ok my build has got to the point where I need to purchase coil over shocks

have a few questions
1) are double adjustable worth the extra money for road and track day use
2) which make do you recommend whilst trying to keep the cost down .
3) any disadvantages in using smaller coil units rather that the larger coil units.

thanks in anticipation

snapper

posted on 18/11/14 at 01:30 AM Reply With Quote
Gaz
Double adjustable need setting up for any advantage
1.9's are usualy fitted to save space depends on your requirements

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Jenko

posted on 18/11/14 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Second that......GAZ gold are all alloy and very good value, one up from these are Protech. Do you need double adjustable..questionable unless a serious trackster.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 18/11/14 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Shocktec do really nice coilovers alot cheaper than Protech, I paid ~£650 for 4 double adjustables built to my specification and the rebuild cost and service was excellent when I ruined one in a trackday accident.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Camber Dave

posted on 18/11/14 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
I bought Protech double adjusters for my (donor car!) MX 5 and am now preparing it for track days. I found that I was able to fine tune them for excellent road manners. Once set, the bump needs only 1 clic of variance. But the rebound benefits by up to 4 clics between gentle club runs and fast ‘A’ road runs and customer demonstrations.

I changed them for softer springs and single adjusters (not Protech, I am evaluating another make) for road use over the winter.
I am not happy with these yet.
I will probably get them re-valving to change the balance between Bump and rebound.

In summary, If you just drive the wheels off it - get the single adjusters.

If you are constantly fine tuning the whole car, get the Protech Double adjusters. They are great tool to find the perfect road response.
You can, like all Protechs increase the overall valving (release the grubscrew while keeping the adjuster pushed in! and wind back the knob to increase the range) or just reset them to get the knob adjuster in the mid point for your choice of setting.

The double adjuster set up procedure is in the books, Carroll Smith & Alan Staniforth for instance or U to U me for a print out.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.