Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra steering collumn
MBrown

posted on 12/12/14 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra steering collumn

Hi all, I couldn't seem to find anywhere that states for a haynes roadster whether it can take an adjustable steering collumn or whether it has to be a non adjustable? Any help would be greatly appreciated,
CosKev3

posted on 12/12/14 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
What does the column support look like?

If it takes the full Sierra setup with inner bush and outer flexible bush,like MK Indys do,it will accept an adjustable column, if it only takes the small plastic inner Sierra bush, like Mac1's do, you need a non adjustable column.

MBrown

posted on 13/12/14 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
It should look like this when done: (sorry it's not the right way up I'm trying to do it on my phone)

CosKev3

posted on 13/12/14 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
It's the support that needs to be able to move up and down to allow an adjustable column to be fitted, the type below fitted to my Mac1 chassis would not allow an adjustable column to be used;

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/coskev3/media/20140708_144047_zpsf201c5a5.jpg.html?sort=3&o=12

As I had already bought an adjustable column I altered the support so I could use it and fitted a bearing set-up;

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/coskev3/media/20140709_121412_zpsac943acf.jpg.html?sort=3&o=11

The other thing to bare in mind is clearance from the bottom of column to the piece of chassis that crosses underneath it, had to cut mine and weld in a piece to give clearance.(TR9 in your plan above)

[Edited on 13/12/14 by CosKev3]

MBrown

posted on 13/12/14 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Oh ok, that makes sense now, I think I'll go for a non adjustable to make it easier, thanks for the help
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 14/12/14 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an adjustable column on mine, you just drill the holes rather than putting slots in. Also I've switched over to a proper bearing where it goes through the bulkhead - I'll try to get a picture up in a bit.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

MBrown

posted on 14/12/14 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Oh perfect thanks, I haven't seen too many non adjustable ones for sale so I might have to go for an adjustable one
Badger_McLetcher

posted on 14/12/14 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
I thought I had some pictures of the whole lot, but apparently not! I've not got the column in the car at the moment, but here's a couple of the holes and bearing - hope it helps!

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.