Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Design clearance between chassis and road at full bump?
Fred W B

posted on 25/2/15 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Design clearance between chassis and road at full bump?

Anyone care to comment on what would be a suitable design clearance dimension between chassis and road at full suspension bump travel for a car to be used on road and track.

For example, if a car had 100 mm of ground clearance, and a suspension travel of 60 mm in bump from ride height, the chassis would be 40 mm from the ground at full bump. I am talking here purely of the damper travel, spring rate does not come into it at this stage.

I understand that this clearance will vary depending on the actual profile of the road being driven on. I see some cars do "bottom" in certain circumstances, and you see people winding up static ride height or spring rate to try to prevent this, but in the case of a clean sheet design it would seem incorrect to design so that the clearance would be 0 mm.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 25/2/15 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 25/2/15 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Fred.
At some point in time I commented on this subject.
I´m looking for 4.5" (114.3 mm) front 5" Rear Ride Height.
This to the lowermost part of the chassis.
Bump travel will be 3" approx maybe a little more on the front due to Wheel Travel being larger than shock travel.
This will put me in the 1.5" to 2" clearance at full bump. (38 mmm to 51 mm)
My sump will end maybe 12 to 18 mm below my rails, but the only time clearance would be compromised is crossing Sleeping Policemen...
Roads here in Mexico are bad, but I think I can get away with it.
I think 40 mm is more than enough for a track regardless of condition.
On my previous post on the subject I wrote that Sacrificial Rubbing Strips may be installed to avoid damage to the Paint/Chassis, and reply was that even though you may do so, ride would suffer as spring rate would rise ad infinitum when the strips contact the ground.
Maybe racers may have a more definitive answer on this.
Regards.
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sam_68

posted on 25/2/15 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B...in the case of a clean sheet design it would seem incorrect to design so that the clearance would be 0 mm.

Two blindingly obvious comments:
* Suspension travel should never be limited by damper travel. You should be running bump rubbers to ensure that your dampers never go solid.So your maximum wheel deflection will always be less than that permitted by the damper stroke.

* Conversely, you're not running on cast iron tyres. So if there's enough of a load on your suspension to be compressing the suspension onto the bump stops, there's enough to be compressing the tyres quite a bit, too.

You'll need to take both these factors into account when assessing what you judge to be suitable clearance (though to some degree they cancel each other out).

Tyre rates are complicated - they're rising rate and depend on pressure, apart from anything else - but you can make an initial assessment by measuring the static deflection against a known corner weight.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 25/2/15 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B...in the case of a clean sheet design it would seem incorrect to design so that the clearance would be 0 mm.

Two blindingly obvious comments:
* Suspension travel should never be limited by damper travel. You should be running bump rubbers to ensure that your dampers never go solid.So your maximum wheel deflection will always be less than that permitted by the damper stroke.

* Conversely, you're not running on cast iron tyres. So if there's enough of a load on your suspension to be compressing the suspension onto the bump stops, there's enough to be compressing the tyres quite a bit, too.

You'll need to take both these factors into account when assessing what you judge to be suitable clearance (though to some degree they cancel each other out).

Tyre rates are complicated - they're rising rate and depend on pressure, apart from anything else - but you can make an initial assessment by measuring the static deflection against a known corner weight.

Hi Sam_68.
I never put thought on tyres, but for my limited building experience the only time this would happen (Both Tyres in Bump) is whenever I hit Sleeping policemen -or a curb head-on, if I am doing any speed beyond barely moving on those two scenarios, I have worse problems than just chassis-Ground clearance.
By the way, I´ll try to upload some time what we have here in Mexico.
Best Regards
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 26/2/15 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments

quote:

Suspension travel should never be limited by damper travel. You should be running bump rubbers to ensure that your dampers never go solid.So your maximum wheel deflection will always be less than that permitted by the damper stroke.

Yes, that is understood. The 60 mm travel mentioned as an example would be up to, and include compression of, the bump stop.

quote:

Conversely, you're not running on cast iron tyres. So if there's enough of a load on your suspension to be compressing the suspension onto the bump stops, there's enough to be compressing the tyres quite a bit, too.

Fair point, that had not occured to me yet.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.