Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Painting brake calipers after electrolysis
PSpirine

posted on 16/4/15 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Painting brake calipers after electrolysis

So, I realise this is a bit of a simple/stupid question but...

How do you actually paint the caliper (m16) after electrolysisisisising them?

Basically all surfaces need to either be painted or have oil/brake fluid on them to stop them rusting immediately. Do you mask off the piston bore and then just brush on some hammerite/caliper paint (I'm only going for gloss black), and then re-assemble with pistons and seals etc.?

Or do you put pistons in first and then use a brush to get close to the dust seal, but end up with the dust seal lip on the caliper effectively uncoated, and therefore will surface rust?

I realise most people will probably just slap some paint on and it'll be good enough, but what's the way to do it if you were doing it right?

Should probably ask at work how OEM's paint their calipers, although I guess they're electrocoated before the paint goes on so you don't need 100% coverage.

coozer

posted on 16/4/15 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
When I do mine I leave everything attached, seals, piston, brake hose...

Once its cooked wash the crud off, use a wire brush in the grinder to get the black stuff off and slap a coat of red oxide on.

Then some hammerite or whatever's lying around then change the seals, hoses, piston etc.

Tend to make sure the bleed screw is loose before the red oxide.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

PSpirine

posted on 16/4/15 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks coozer. too late as mine are stripped now! could always reassemble with the old bits as not thrown them out yet, but does that mean the retaining lip on the caliper that's under the dust seal remains uncoated? on mine it's covered in rust due to a broken dust seal, so wanted to clean that bit up too!
Andi

posted on 16/4/15 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
This is the stuff
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOLIATEC-BRAKE-CALIPER-PAINT-ENGINE-LACQUER-KIT-3-COMPONENTS-METALLIC-2172-/321717320069?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

No need for primer (how so! I hear folk shouting) Well I dont know.
But I did paint an engine with it and it stuck like stuff to a blanket, never chipped, peeled or discoloured and took some bashings with hammers and spanners.
I only bought it because halfrauds were selling off old stock at a fiver a pack. Best thing I ever got from them.

Andi

coozer

posted on 16/4/15 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PSpirine
Thanks coozer. too late as mine are stripped now! could always reassemble with the old bits as not thrown them out yet, but does that mean the retaining lip on the caliper that's under the dust seal remains uncoated? on mine it's covered in rust due to a broken dust seal, so wanted to clean that bit up too!

That's ok, I would just wrap some masking tape round the lip where the seal goes when you paint them.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.