Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Controlling rear suspension droop?
dan8400

posted on 19/8/15 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Controlling rear suspension droop?

Hi everyone.

I am looking into fitting a diffuser to my Tiger Supercat but there is a problem. The rear axle (Sierra) seem to droop too much when I lift the car. The trailing arms are slightly below the level of the rear chassis member (the place I would attach the front part of the diffuser)

I just wondered if there was a way I could stop the excess droop? It seems ok when it's on the ground but if I take off over a bump or jack the car for any reason the trailing arms would bend or tear the diffuser

Thanks
Dan

[Edited on 19/8/15 by dan8400]

Hey - That's Journey!!!

Talon Motorsport

posted on 19/8/15 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have fabricated tubular wishbones on the back? I would remove a wheel and see if you could use one of those webbing tow straps slipped over the end to restrict the drop, it won't rattle like a chain and if does'nt work they are cheap enough to try some thing else.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dan8400

posted on 19/8/15 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
No, the Supercat uses the whole Sierra rear suspension unit. Tube, diff, shafts, trailing arms - the lot.

I wasn't aware that I could use straps to resist the springs

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

Sam_68

posted on 19/8/15 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Maximum suspension droop is normally controlled by the maximum (extended) length of the damper, so you could fit a damper with the same fully compressed length, but a shorter stroke (hence shorter extended length).

In the olden days, people sometimes used to fit simple check-straps to swing axle suspensions to limit their droop, but it's a half-arsed solution and not to be recommended.

If you don't know what you're doing, though, don't mess around with it: limiting droop can have dramatic effects when you run out of suspension travel in roll whereas, to be perfectly blunt, fitting a diffuser to a roadgoing Seven will have about as much effect on performance and handling as fluffy dice and go-faster stripes.

dan8400

posted on 19/8/15 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Sam. I understand the diffuser is more of an aesthetic thing, but it will help with the so-called parachute effect of the rear tub. I am changing the look of my car. Having removed the spare wheel and carrier all you seem to see is the diff. So a diffuser will at least hide that.

I could try some different shocks. I only need to find 25 - 30 mm. I can always refit my current shocks if new ones mess things up with handling etc

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

coozer

posted on 20/8/15 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
A well designed diffuser is actually a lot more than purely aesthetic! They do make a positive difference.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

dan8400

posted on 20/8/15 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
I was hoping that too Coozer. Mind you, I'm no Adrian Newey!!

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.