Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reducing bolt hole size. Possible?
cliftyhanger

posted on 21/8/15 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan8400
Hi clifty,

Don't take this he wrong way but have you read my OP? Kind of explains it.

Yes, I read it. You have 16mm holes in the chassis to mount the shocks, but the bushes in the mini shocks use (probably) 3/8 or similar bolt.

people use mini shocks on some Triumph GT6's, they use a large shouldered bolt, guessing 5/8 which is essentially 16mm. They use a special bush, or possibly the std GT6 or spitfire bush.

However, if the tophat washer is a go-er, do it. I was merely suggesting an alternative way to skin the proverbial cat.

dan8400

posted on 21/8/15 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that info clifty. I wasn't trying to be a dick about it. Hope it didn't come off that way

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

dan8400

posted on 28/8/15 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Theshed,

If your offer is still open I would love to take you up on it. I have made a sketch, literally on the back of an envelope. I hope it makes sense.

I would like 8 bushes in total if possible. I will gladly pay you for your services if required

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

yellowcab

posted on 28/8/15 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theshed
Cost - pass on a favour
Theshed - what a gent!

RoyM

posted on 29/8/15 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
Wheel but spacers / reducers? Got some on my Marcos minilites which are 3/8 bore - may save you finding a lathe
Theshed

posted on 29/8/15 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Sorry I did not spot this yesterday. Sure I can do those for you. I am away for the weekend but will be able to do them probably before next weekend - is that OK?

Few questions. You have not shown the diameter of the bar. What would you like. I have stacks of 34mm mild steel bar I can turn down. I could do bigger or smaller.

Are you sure about the 10mm hole a 3/8 bolt is just over 9.5 and will rattle a bit in a 10mm hole. I can do either or send you a sample pair. I generally use imperial bolts and have lots lying around. What size (length) will you need to go right through?

If your hole is exactly 16mm and I make these exactly 16mm you will need a sort of press fit. You could draw them in with bolts or file a sliver off the hole. Or I could make them a thou undersized and they will be a sliding fit. What is your preference?

All the best

dan8400

posted on 29/8/15 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. 10mm is perfect as I have enlarged the holes in the shocks to 10mm. Not fussed about the outside diameter of the bar. Anything is fine.

Also, whenever you can do it is fine. Next weekend is fine by me.

16mm will fit. 16.5 may be better. I can file it if it's tight.

Total length of the bolts will need to be 75mm x m10. I can get bolts, nuts and washers.

If you need more info I can provide it

Thank you once again
Dan

[Edited on 29/8/15 by dan8400]

Hey - That's Journey!!!

Theshed

posted on 5/9/15 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
And the lathe fairy spat these out.....

Napkin design
Napkin design

In the post on Monday

dan8400

posted on 12/9/15 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Just wanted to take the time to say a massive THANK YOU to John 'theshed' for making me the bushes I needed for my suspension.

They are brilliant. Really high quality work. Unfortunately I seem to be incapable with my tape measure and ended up making them a little smaller to fit. The turned part sat in the hole I was trying to fill and the new bolts fitted effortlessly into place. I have included a picture below to show Johns quality parts fitted to my car

Thank you John!!

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.