Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Indepedent rear suspension knock
axle

posted on 23/8/15 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Indepedent rear suspension knock

Hi all
I can not get rid of the knock on the rear suspension I have tried different setting of the shocks , the best result so far has been making the coil a bit more soft. I have got the right set for the car from Dampertech.

Any light on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Regards Axle

IVA passed 1st time thanks to the Forum members.

mark chandler

posted on 23/8/15 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Mixing metric and imperial bolts?

Bushes tend to be 9/16 (UNF), people push in 13mm which rattle & knock.

axle

posted on 23/8/15 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
I think all of the bolts have the same OD but thanks for your input I shall look into that!

Thanks again.

Regards Axle

bi22le

posted on 23/8/15 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
One of my front shocks used to knock over speed humps.

This was because the shock was hitting the stops on full extension ( drop angle too little)

This was made a little better by stiffening the rebound and letting off the preload, completly throwing the setup out.

I brought my applicable shocks and all was good.

I would question if your shock length is enough, your springs are sort enough, you rebound is high enough.

If this is really not the case try doing what i was doing, narrowing down when, where and how it is happening and look for dented or damaged powdercoat.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

rusty nuts

posted on 23/8/15 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Can you get it to knock by bouncing the rear end? If so try "feeling" the various components while someone bounces the car . When I had problems with squeeking on my rear I did as I've said but also slackened off the suspension bolts until I found the worst offending suspension bush. Double check all bolts are compatable with the suspension bushes etc
axle

posted on 23/8/15 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you all, for all your help, it is fantastic to have such a forum with dedicated members .

As for the knock it only happens over really bad potholes, no there is no scrapping or damaged paint, but I shall try all these methods to eliminate and will report back.

I better get started , in the meanwhile if there is anymore bright ideas, please post them on!

Regards Axle

dilley

posted on 23/8/15 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Knocks and rattles can be a pain to find, best thing is to find an mot station that uses shaker plates, this re creates the vehicle on the road and not jacked up off the ground.
axle

posted on 23/8/15 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
good point you mentioned here what this has promoted me to do is tighten all bolts with the car weight on the car rather than jacked up. I shall report back. Thanks for your response.

Regards Axle

axle

posted on 12/9/15 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Results at last

Hi all

Just a short note to say :

Firstly, thanks for your input I sorted other things as it was pointed to me while investigating this fault.

Secondly, the knocking noise is gone the rubber that was on the spring shaft was not aqueduct enough to act as a pump stop I made one from some old bushes and fitted inside the spring. I am pleased to say it worked well and going over the potholes there was no knock was good proof!

lastly you can fit the below as a substitute:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?espv=2&biw=1002&bih=664&q=rear+spring+donut+rubber&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0CBoQvwUoAGoVChMI7-zjrcvx xwIVyGrbCh2MPQRf

Regards Axle

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.