Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vw scandal
Daf

posted on 22/9/15 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
vw scandal

I assume we've all seen the news! Do you think if I asked vw nicely they'd help me find some 'solutions' to my iva test!?
austin man

posted on 22/9/15 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
wow

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Dick Axtell

posted on 22/9/15 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
I don't wish to offend anyone, but do you really think you could afford the VW software for this purpose??

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

britishtrident

posted on 22/9/15 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I have a suspicion other manufacturers will also be in trouble for the same thing.

The myth that diesels produce less pollution than spark ignition engines has been truly busted when taken together with higher maintenance costs and reduced reliability because of particulate filters and the projected shortfall in DERV production the writing may on the wall for the sales of new diesel cars in the huge numbers seen in the last few years.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

David Jenkins

posted on 22/9/15 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
I have a suspicion other manufacturers will also be in trouble for the same thing.

I've heard Mercedes and BMW are being looked at - but I can't remember where I saw this.

When you think of all the diesel cars made by all the companies owned by VAG, Mercedes and BMW...

Stot

posted on 22/9/15 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
I could imagine HMRC making claims on thousands of drivers who were underpaying tax on their company cars all this time and underpaying road tax based on the false emissions values. I wonder if they would go straight for VW or if the drivers would be presented with a bill and need to sue VW.
David Jenkins

posted on 22/9/15 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stot
I could imagine HMRC making claims on thousands of drivers who were underpaying tax on their company cars all this time and underpaying road tax based on the false emissions values. I wonder if they would go straight for VW or if the drivers would be presented with a bill and need to sue VW.

My guess is that all the European countries that base their road tax on emissions will sue the companies for lost revenue.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 22/9/15 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
I agree I bet there not the only car manufacturer to do this could a massive scandal ..
britishtrident

posted on 22/9/15 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Angela Merkel will make the Greek government pay for the cost.

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 22/9/15 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:

I've heard Mercedes and BMW are being looked at - but I can't remember where I saw this.

When you think of all the diesel cars made by all the companies owned by VAG, Mercedes and BMW...

I wonder if the Yanks checked cars from US manufacturers quite as closely.

[/I]

SteveWallace

posted on 22/9/15 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stot

My understanding is that the issue is mostly with nitrogen oxides and particulates rather than carbon dioxide emissions, which is what road tax in the UK is based on.

The problem that we have is that our emissions based taxes were set up only to try to achieve greenhouse gas emissions targets rather than deal with more local environmental impacts caused by NOx and particulates, which can be a particular issue with diesel engines. That said, EU standards for engine manufacture (rather than personal taxes) have been gradually tightening a range of emissions standards for a number of years and manufacturers have been responding with what we had all thought were better and better engines.

Maybe its time that vehicle excise duty is changed to a sliding scale based on a basket of emissions rather than just carbon dioxide. However, that would really mess with company vehicle fleet decisions as they have been biased towards low carbon dioxide per mile diesel cars for years.

Ivan

posted on 22/9/15 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
They must really be between a rock and a hard place on this one - I would guess that the Emmission test Program leads to bad drive-ability, performance and maybe even consumption, hence the need for a "Test" and "Drive" program.

If they are forced to run only on the "test" settings will the current owners who might be unhappy with the changes in their car be entitled to a refund?

sdh2903

posted on 22/9/15 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:

I wonder if the Yanks checked cars from US manufacturers quite as closely.

You don't see many us made diesels on the road in the states. In fact you don't see many at all and the ones that you do see seem to be made in Germany.......

mac1ZR

posted on 22/9/15 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
They should also be brought to task about their fuel consumption figures. My Golf GTD struggles to achieve 50mpg, and they say the figure is 64mpg. I am sure VW aren't alone in this either.
David Jenkins

posted on 22/9/15 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
There's more info on VW's little bit of mischief here: NY Times

Look for the link part-way down - it shows what VW were doing, in layman's terms.

twybrow

posted on 22/9/15 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Very naughty, and i am sure they are not alone. I am told this cant have happened in the EU as the testing is done on sample cars rather than those prepared by the oem. Either way, it is very worrying and will surely have repercussions globally....?
Adamirish

posted on 22/9/15 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

perksy

posted on 22/9/15 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
How did this all come to light ?

Did somebody whistleblow or ?

Very much doubt VW will be alone in this....

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/9/15 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
mass panic to sell diesel cars as their value plummets

Smokey bloody things anyway, hate being behind one and seen loads of nearly new cars pouring out black smoke as soon as they accelerate.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DW100

posted on 23/9/15 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I don't wish to offend anyone, but do you really think you could afford the VW software for this purpose??

The software wouldn't be that hard to implement. Lots of ways to tell the car is being tested on a rolling road, like rear wheels not going round, lack of change from steering wheel angle sensor and lack of vehicle movement from G sensors in ESP system, then switch to a low emmisions map.

The vehicles use a NOx storage catalyst that needs the engine to periodically run rich in order to re-generate, NOx is also lower when the mixture is richer and when using a greater amount of EGR to lower combustion temps. Can be done but the car would be crap to drive and poor on fuel economy.

ash_hammond

posted on 23/9/15 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mac1ZR
They should also be brought to task about their fuel consumption figures. My Golf GTD struggles to achieve 50mpg, and they say the figure is 64mpg. I am sure VW aren't alone in this either.

Do you still have lead in your right foot? :-)

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

swanny

posted on 23/9/15 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DW100
quote:

The software wouldn't be that hard to implement. Lots of ways to tell the car is being tested on a rolling road, like rear wheels not going round, lack of change from steering wheel angle sensor and lack of vehicle movement from G sensors in ESP system, then switch to a low emmisions map.

yes there are some fairly unique sets of data inputs that would suggest a car on test. does the MOT test this for diesels? nothing to stop the car from being able to work out it was MOT time again. (as you say; revs 3,000 g movement zero, steering input zero, gear selection neutral in theory the car might even know where the MOT centres were geographically too)

paul

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/9/15 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
It’s well known modern car mpg figures are pure fiction and don’t match real world driving.

Tbh the focus has been wrong and only on lowering emissions rather than reducing engine size requirements for cars, hence in the states they still drive enormous trucks with engine sizes equivalent to several European cars combined with dreadful aerodynamics, but that least their emissions are low…

[Edited on 23/9/15 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 23/9/15 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I still think my 75mpg 1.5D 106 was a brilliant car. No electronics or fancy exhaust just 59 bhp. Bliss...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coozer

posted on 23/9/15 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
And I wonder when I can pick up a nearly new vw for about £500?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.