Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to replace the brake fluid on my Indy
sonic

posted on 10/4/16 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
How to replace the brake fluid on my Indy

Hello guy's

The time has come to replace the brake fluid on my MK Indy, whats the best / quickest/ easiest way of doing it ?

Mick

Matt21

posted on 10/4/16 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Buy an 'easybleed' kit

you just fill a bottle with fluid, connect it to the top of your reservoir and plug it onto one of your tyres.
the pressure from the tyre pressurizes the bottle forcing the fluid out into your reservoir and as you crack open each bleed nipple of the calipers, it goes out into the brake lines.

start with the furthest caliper from the reservoir and work your way through them to the closest one. then your done.

a length of pipe is handy to go from the bleed nipple to a tub to collect the old fluid, stops you making a mess everywhere!
and also a syringe to suck excess fluid from the reservoir

and remember that brake fluid is a brilliant paint stripper! so be careful what you get it on and give it all a good clean when your done

Slimy38

posted on 10/4/16 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
What he said, with two tips;

1. Don't drain the old fluid first. Just keep on bleeding with fresh fluid until the stuff coming out changes colour (as seen through the length of pipe). It's infinitely more difficult to bleed an empty system, despite it seeming quite logical to remove the old before the new.

2. Ignore the eezibleed pressure requirements, they're too high and chances are you'll have difficulty keeping a seal on the cap. If you do hear air (or fluid) escaping, drop the pressure and try again.

hizzi

posted on 10/4/16 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
easiest way,is to pay someone to do it !
britishtrident

posted on 10/4/16 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
First tool you need is a Turkey baster to get as much fluid out of the fluid resevoir as possible before you refill it.
Only then bleed the system through, if you want to do a really thorough job push the caliper pistons back to reduce the ammount of fluid in the calipers.

Then refill and bleed an Eezibleed will make bleeding easier but use the mininimum air pressure that gives reasonable fluid flow.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

nick205

posted on 11/4/16 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Never changed the brake fluid on my Indy, but IIRC it was easy enough to fill from empty. The only air I got trapped was in the 3 way pipe union at the rear, which had a hydraulic pressure switch for the brake lights. Cracking that open got rid of the air, but did spill a little brake fluid.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.