Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Started....but not anymore....`
JamesyCottony

posted on 15/4/16 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Started....but not anymore....`

Hi there,

Basically, I couldn't get the car started so dad called one of his friends that is building a MG A. With only being there 20 mins the car started!! HORRAY!! But once you let go of the choke it was cutting out, so my dads friend said take the bell housing off the carb. He lightly sanded (WITH 2500 GRIT, SO VERY FINE) the needle and the piston inside, there are no scratch marks WHATSOEVER from this, so I know there isnt a leak from the piston end of the carb. He then blew out with a compressor the jet and the mixing chamber (while still built up, didnt take jet out). After putting back together......IT WOULDNT START!!!!!!!!

So i took the bottom of the carb off and cleaned all of the float ect out, but left the jet in.

Back together....still wont start.

There is fuel there and it is all sparking correctly.

Please help

EDIT: Austin Metro 998cc 1984

[Edited on 15/4/16 by JamesyCottony]

COREdevelopments

posted on 15/4/16 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
have you tried covering the inlet of the carb while cranking?

Rob

JamesyCottony

posted on 15/4/16 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by COREdevelopments
have you tried covering the inlet of the carb while cranking?

Rob

Air Inlet?

Fuel Inlet?

COREdevelopments

posted on 15/4/16 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
air inlet. are the plugs wet?

JamesyCottony

posted on 15/4/16 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
air inlet. are the plugs wet?

Havent covered air inlet no.

Plugs are dry :/

I just hate cranking it over and over while the pump is trying to chuck fuel in, makes me nervous

nick205

posted on 15/4/16 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
As above, get someone else to crank it while blocking (with your hand) the air inlet. That may well let it fire up.

The other way is to get some "easy start" in an aerosol can and spray it in the air inlet while cranking. It's worked for me before to get engines going.

COREdevelopments

posted on 15/4/16 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
take the dashpot off and check to see if the piston is fitted the correct way, some su's have 2 groves in the piston for location. looking from the top of the piston you should have 2 holes approx 3mm in diameter, these should be facing towards the engine. this is what gives the vacuum. sounds like your pistons are not rising easily.

hth

Rob

JamesyCottony

posted on 15/4/16 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
take the dashpot off and check to see if the piston is fitted the correct way, some su's have 2 groves in the piston for location. looking from the top of the piston you should have 2 holes approx 3mm in diameter, these should be facing towards the engine. this is what gives the vacuum. sounds like your pistons are not rising easily.

hth

Rob

Ill check that, thanks. We did put some 20w50 in the pot to help lubricate it when we took it apart the first time but when it didnt start we drained what was in there out. When cranking I was pushing the little button (to the NS of the engine) that raises the piston, but still nothing, Ill double check the grooves now.

Also would I cover the air inlet because the mixture is too lean?

COREdevelopments

posted on 15/4/16 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Do you mean the button on top of the float? That allows more fuel into the float chamber not the piston on the main carb body.

Covering the inlet up will force the piston to lift if it is said problem that I mentioned. Have you palyed about with mixture?

Rob

[Edited on 15/4/16 by COREdevelopments]

COREdevelopments

posted on 15/4/16 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote

The 2 holes in the piston above should be facing the engine.

JamesyCottony

posted on 15/4/16 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Put my hand over the inlet.... IT STARTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU GUYS!!

now seems to start without covering inlet.

One thing that I think might be the mixture is when i put some throttle on (after it being warm) it dies quickly then picks up quickly, too much fuel? not enough fuel? too much air? not enough air?

JamesyCottony

posted on 15/4/16 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Only one groove, and yea, holes are facing the engne

Andy D

posted on 15/4/16 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Have you put the oil back in the dash pot? It's not for lubrication, it's for damping the piston.
JamesyCottony

posted on 15/4/16 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy D
Have you put the oil back in the dash pot? It's not for lubrication, it's for damping the piston.

There is a little in there still yes

JamesyCottony

posted on 15/4/16 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
I didnt get a lot of history with the car, so Im not 100% sure that it has been converted to unleaded, the guy before me seems to think so, he recalls something to do with Valve timing was changed. My wallet doesnt mind me spending out on Lead additive, should I just use it anyway? even if the engine is unleaded? just to be on the safe side
MikeRJ

posted on 15/4/16 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Covering the inlet up will force the piston to lift if it is said problem that I mentioned. Have you palyed about with mixture?

Covering the inlet won't make the piston lift up. Piston height is a function of airflow and covering the inlet reduces airflow. Choking the inlet simply lowers the pressure in the carb and pulls more fuel up through the needle jet.

It's possible that a jet was partially blocked, chocking the inlet to help pull any crud through is an old trick that often works.

quote:
Originally posted by JamesyCottony

Fill it to the top of the damper tube. The damper is the equivalent of the accelerator pump in a fixed jet carb, if it doesn't have sufficient damping then you get a lean mixture and hesitation when opening the throttle.

BTW you should never use abrasives on the needle, dashpot or piston, especially not wet and dry paper.

[Edited on 15/4/16 by MikeRJ]

JamesyCottony

posted on 15/4/16 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

Covering the inlet won't make the piston lift up. Piston height is a function of airflow and covering the inlet reduces airflow. Choking the inlet simply lowers the pressure in the carb and pulls more fuel up through the needle jet.

It's possible that a jet was partially blocked, chocking the inlet to help pull any crud through is an old trick that often works.

quote:
Originally posted by JamesyCottony

Fill it to the top of the damper tube. The damper is the equivalent of the accelerator pump in a fixed jet carb, if it doesn't have sufficient damping then you get a lean mixture and hesitation when opening the throttle.

What oil would you recommend? im guessing it will have to be mineral as synth will ruin the seals

cliftyhanger

posted on 15/4/16 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Just use it. I haven't converted any of the (10 or so) old cars I have owned (except the one I bought with the engine already machined and in bits, seemed silly not to spend £80 on converting it...)
If you suffer valve seat recession, then get unleaded inserts fitted. It is a big if, none of mine ever suffered, and many got driven hard.

cliftyhanger

posted on 15/4/16 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Just use it. I haven't converted any of the (10 or so) old cars I have owned (except the one I bought with the engine already machined and in bits, seemed silly not to spend £80 on converting it...)
If you suffer valve seat recession, then get unleaded inserts fitted. It is a big if, none of mine ever suffered, and many got driven hard.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 15/4/16 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a spark at the plugs and after cranking the plugs are dry then it's a fuel issue has it got fuel in the tank ? Is fuel getting to the carb ? Pour some fuel into the carb ( little bit ) half an aerosol cap if it starts and runs for a few seconds then you know engine must have compression and the timing is ok or close to correct .
JamesyCottony

posted on 15/4/16 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger

I dont have a cat, or o2 sensor and its meant to improve octane, but would it do any damage if I put lead in?

JamesyCottony

posted on 15/4/16 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ian locostzx9rc2
If you have a spark at the plugs and after cranking the plugs are dry then it's a fuel issue has it got fuel in the tank ? Is fuel getting to the carb ? Pour some fuel into the carb ( little bit ) half an aerosol cap if it starts and runs for a few seconds then you know engine must have compression and the timing is ok or close to correct .

Got it running now thankyou

britishtrident

posted on 15/4/16 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Really not a good idea to use any kind of abrasive no matter how fine on the piston or dashpot bore or jet needle in an SU carb.
Cleaning with and sof trag is all that is required. If after cleaning the piston isn't returning freely slacken the 3 screws very slightly and wiggle it a little then tighten them gradually and evenly. If that dosen't work try centering the jet by slackening the jet holder wiggle it and re-tighten.
If that dosen't work try it without the needle fitted if it OK without it the needle is bent, if it still sticks it is highly probable the dashpot has been damged by getting dropped.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

JamesyCottony

posted on 15/4/16 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Really not a good idea to use any kind of abrasive no matter how fine on the piston or dashpot bore or jet needle in an SU carb.
Cleaning with and sof trag is all that is required. If after cleaning the piston isn't returning freely slacken the 3 screws very slightly and wiggle it a little then tighten them gradually and evenly. If that dosen't work try centering the jet by slackening the jet holder wiggle it and re-tighten.
If that dosen't work try it without the needle fitted if it OK without it the needle is bent, if it still sticks it is highly probable the dashpot has been damged by getting dropped.

It's starting now thankyou, just need to get it running smoothly. When I press the throttle it dies but then picks up quickly, not enough fuel getting in?

rusty nuts

posted on 15/4/16 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I was taught to clean SU piston and dash pot with brake fluid 50 years ago, it still works and is cheaper than carb cleaner. Clearances between pistons and dash pots are critical and as BT points out never use any abrasives.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.