Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: hybrid driveshafts
andyhaase1

posted on 31/5/17 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
hybrid driveshafts

Hi, can anyone offer advice on getting some sierra driveshafts made up with the 26 splines on the diff end, and 28 splines on the hub end. I am in email discussion with J&R in birmingham, but it seems they can't help me.
My diff has the output shafts that bolt to the driveshafts, (lobro?) but if somewhere can make a hybrid shaft surely its better to use the push in style? Saves a bit of weight maybe.
Andy

kingster996

posted on 31/5/17 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Some info here that might help

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/101143-lsd-diff/

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

mcerd1

posted on 31/5/17 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
^^ push-in (aka: tripod) ones are lighter - although not by all that much

on the other hand (aka: lobro) are stronger and dead easy to get replacement joints and/or new boots for them - and as a bonus you don't need to drain the diff oil to remove them
also the sierra LSD's are all bolt-on only (the lengths of the subs are different each side unlike the open diffs)

so as a pure weight saving measure it would be fairly low on my list given the hassle involved.

What type of diff / hubs are you trying to use ?

[Edited on 31/5/2017 by mcerd1]

-

andyhaase1

posted on 31/5/17 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
weight saving was just incidental, I have the drum style hubs with 28 splines, even though I have discs to go on the rear. The uprights will only take that style. But the diff has 26 splines. Lee from J&R just emailed to say the tripod joints are not designed to run at the angle they are used on kits, he has been building driveshafts for years, and they just fail. I may have to get the hubs with 26 splines and buy the bolt on shafts.
mcerd1

posted on 1/6/17 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyhaase1
I may have to get the hubs with 26 splines and buy the bolt on shafts.

that would certainly make it easier - especially if you already have rear discs
the lobro's are definitely better joints, but I don't know that I've heard of too many people having much of an issue with tripods on the kits, but then how many miles does your average kit do in a year.....

the ones that do wear out a bit quicker is the hybrid shafts with a tripod one end and a lobro the other, but again for all the miles the cars cover a fair few folk just put up with that

-

if you swap hubs just be aware that the bolt-on type hub carriers all have the caliper mounting lugs - but there are 2 sizes, the normal Sierra/Granada ones meant for 253mm discs and the "taller" lugs meant for the 273mm discs on the various cossies
also make sure that your rear uprights are actually compatible with them

If you have small wheels (13" the 253mm discs might fit with the modified springs on the stock calipers (dependin on the wheels etc..) but 273mm discs will definitely not fit.

I'm assiming your diff has the 100mm CV joints ? so watch out for the 2wd sierra cossie hubs.
they look the same but they are sized for 108mm CV joints rather than the 100mm ones on all other models.

and you can't easily swap the hub carriers between the bolt-on and push-in types are the bolt-on ones need bigger bearings (both inside and outside diameters)
without re-engineering the whole thing its really all or nothing - so best bet is to find some complete hubs if you want to do this - then you know they'll fit (hub carrier, stub axle and the wheel flange)

mk3 granada's use the same basic design, but have a 5x112mm P.C.D. for the wheels - but you can mix and match the stub axles / hub carriers with sierra ones (I thing the ugly scorpio's [95-98] went back to 4x108 though )

[Edited on 1/6/2017 by mcerd1]

-

andyhaase1

posted on 2/6/17 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
So, I will be using 13" wheels, and I have 253mm discs with the wilwood calipers. I have the 28 spline hubs and the ally carriers with 30mm internal diameter bearings. I don't have the stub axles, so can I just get some lobro stubs with the 28 splines, or are they for bigger bearings?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.