Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hub nuts on Sierra driveshaft
Yorkie

posted on 14/6/17 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hub nuts on Sierra driveshaft

I'm in the process of changing the Sierra push in shafts and think I have a problem.
The replacement shafts I've got have the L/H thread on the offside (longer shaft) and R/H thread on the nearside which is different to what the Haynes manual says. (L/H on left side)
Is this OK?
If not, are they easily changed or am I looking at new shafts?

SteveWalker

posted on 14/6/17 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
L/H on the offside sounds right - having the tendency to tighten when the shaft is rotating normally.
big-vee-twin

posted on 14/6/17 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mate,

Right hand thread on Offside, Left hand on Nearside the on newer ones I have fitted. So the nut revolves in the tightening direction not loosening.

My original Pair had RH thread on both, so I drilled carefully with carbide bit and put a split pin in the end for security.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

loggyboy

posted on 14/6/17 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Haynes is incorrect. Its the counter intuitive way, it's to stop precessional rotation. Google it.

[Edited on 14-6-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

SteveWalker

posted on 14/6/17 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
L/H on the offside sounds right - having the tendency to tighten when the shaft is rotating normally.

Further research shows that I am wrong - despite the couple of searches I checked before commenting agreeing with me!

craigdiver

posted on 26/9/17 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to resurrect this but for the benefit of my pea brain, just to ensure I am fitting the correct shaft to the correct side of the car;

LH thread on the left (UK nearside)

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

loggyboy

posted on 26/9/17 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Left hand thread should be on the right

[Edited on 26-9-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

craigdiver

posted on 26/9/17 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Left hand thread should be on the left yes.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

loggyboy

posted on 26/9/17 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver
quote:
Left hand thread should be on the left yes.

Sorry i got it wrong. It takes me 5 mins of waggling my finger to work it out. Its the way you think it will unwind itself with the forward motion, but in fact its the opposite due to precesional rotation. It should be on the right.

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 27/9/17 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
My Sierra donor (push-in) drive shafts were the same when removed from the donor and after a refurb went straight onto my MK Indy. Research on here and with my local Ford main dealer confirmed they're correct this way.

As mentioned above the principle is for the nuts to tighten (rather than loosen) in normal rotation.

jps

posted on 27/9/17 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Haynes is incorrect. Its the counter intuitive way, it's to stop precessional rotation. Google it.

You get lots of pages about the earths rotation but nothing I could see about Sierra hubs....

Can't actually pick out the correct answer from this thread. Is it LH on the near side or the offside?

loggyboy

posted on 27/9/17 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:

You get lots of pages about the earths rotation but nothing I could see about Sierra hubs....

Can't actually pick out the correct answer from this thread. Is it LH on the near side or the offside?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precession_(mechanical)

Left hand thread on Right (offside in UK)

[Edited on 27-9-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

craigdiver

posted on 27/9/17 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
My Sierra donor (push-in) drive shafts were the same when removed from the donor and after a refurb went straight onto my MK Indy. Research on here and with my local Ford main dealer confirmed they're correct this way.

As mentioned above the principle is for the nuts to tighten (rather than loosen) in normal rotation.

Nick, for the sake of my sanity!, which side of the car had the LH thread when you removed from donor?

Cheers

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

jps

posted on 13/4/18 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Craig - you asked a few months old I know but...

I am just about to paint my hub carriers then fit up the whole back end. I went out and looked at my donor Sierra - which still has it's, drum, backend on it (I am using a disc back end that I got elsewhere). On the donor the L/H thread hub nut is on the nearside.

So - either Ford built it like that (and L/H nut DOES go on the nearside), or during the cars life time someone has taken the driveshafts off and put them back on the wrong way round...

[Edited on 13/4/18 by jps]

40inches

posted on 13/4/18 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
Craig - you asked a few months old I know but...

I am just about to paint my hub carriers then fit up the whole back end. I went out and looked at my donor Sierra - which still has it's, drum, backend on it (I am using a disc back end that I got elsewhere). On the donor the L/H thread hub nut is on the nearside.

So - either Ford built it like that (and L/H nut DOES go on the nearside), or during the cars life time someone has taken the driveshafts off and put them back on the wrong way round...

That seems right. Logically the nut should tighten up the same way that the wheel revolves
My old ones had the L/H thread on the nearside.
Just to throw a spanner in the works. I have fitted new drive shafts, the drivers side is around 60mm longer than
the nearside, and they both have r/h threads
Should say that after 3000miles they are still on the car and when I checked the nut torque a few weeks ago it was still 220ft/lb on both sides.

[Edited on 13-4-18 by 40inches]

jps

posted on 13/4/18 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
That seems right. Logically the nut should tighten up the same way that the wheel revolves

This is pretty much how I see it also - but Loggyboy is admanat in several posts above that it's the offside...

I have turned up some discussion on this here: https://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11503 (some of which seems to be about wheels without studs - i.e. F1 cars) which still doesn't help me much...

Oh - and p34-35 of this edition of RaceTech https://issuu.com/thisisnotadrill/docs/rceteh115webpub

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.