Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Looking to upgrade sierra master cylinder
jps

posted on 9/10/17 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra res can be reused, Voucht on the Haynes forum (am here?) did a template for an alu mount to hold it in the right orientation for a 7 installation (in the Sierra the m/c fits the bulkhead in such a way as it was angled upwards - so the mount compensatates for this.

I got a Mk1 cylinder as NOS from eBay a few years ago - good to see part numbers to show they are available as NNS though!

[Edited on 9/10/17 by jps]

martinnitram

posted on 9/10/17 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Nice work, as you know I'm doing the same job, sierra to Fiat master cylinder, not had mine out on the road yet as have a few other jobs on going.

I ended up with a reservoir from kitspares who are not far from me, came with a nice alloy bracket which saved time with mounting.

Don't know about you but the bottom of the ports is a bit rough and took a real good tighten to get the pipe unions to seat in without leaking, worse one is the 2nd front brake port which I screwed a bleed nipple in to blank it off, ( you ran 2 separate lines ) its a stainless nipple so quite hard against the rough inside of the port and didn't want to seal at first.

Pedal feels better though.

CosKev3

posted on 10/10/17 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martinnitram
Nice work, as you know I'm doing the same job, sierra to Fiat master cylinder, not had mine out on the road yet as have a few other jobs on going.

I ended up with a reservoir from kitspares who are not far from me, came with a nice alloy bracket which saved time with mounting.

Don't know about you but the bottom of the ports is a bit rough and took a real good tighten to get the pipe unions to seat in without leaking, worse one is the 2nd front brake port which I screwed a bleed nipple in to blank it off, ( you ran 2 separate lines ) its a stainless nipple so quite hard against the rough inside of the port and didn't want to seal at first.

I wouldn't mind betting the bleed nipple has the wrong shaped seat to fit correctly?

If you look at a brake pipe fitting flared end it is nowhere near the same shape as a bleed nipple!

flanders

posted on 10/10/17 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
yeah i didn't have any issues with leaks bud. I pressure tested the system for 3 hours before filling with fluid.

Im going to re-bleed the system tonight, I think I may still have air trapped somewhere (probably rear calipers or in the cylinder) and im going to adjust the pedal so that there is a tiny bit of play between the push rod and the cylinder

martinnitram

posted on 14/10/17 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
Originally posted by martinnitram

I wouldn't mind betting the bleed nipple has the wrong shaped seat to fit correctly?

If you look at a brake pipe fitting flared end it is nowhere near the same shape as a bleed nipple!

Ive now swapped the bleed nipple for a brass bung, and yes there is a noticeable difference in the shape.

Nick

posted on 29/9/19 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
I know it was a while ago,but how did it go with the fiat master cylinder.
Am I correct in thinking,2 holes together to fronts and single hole to backs.
Did it work well.
Cheers Nick

martinnitram

posted on 29/9/19 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yes 2 holes for the fronts, single for the rear.
Bung the hole you don't need.

It made a big difference to my brakes from the sierra unit.

Cheers.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.