Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fiesta Mk6 engine shudder 1.25 petrol 2004 manual
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/6/18 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Fiesta Mk6 engine shudder 1.25 petrol 2004 manual

Well seeing that I made such an arse of the strut mount maybe I should ask about the engine one too...

So when pulling away, the car would shake almost like the wheels skipping violently up and down with a loud thunking (real word honestly) noise from the suspension/bulkhead area. Had something similar with the volvo and guessed it was the lower engine mount which fair enough looked bad and worn out with lots of play bingo, £12 sorted very easy fix...or not damn!

Oh well must be a suspension issue then and since the plan was to change all the suspension in one go (very cheaply done so why not?) any knackered parts like shocks etc would be changed out and the issue go away.

Nope it hasn't! it's still there just the same now this is getting annoying... I have to drive like a granny otherwise it bangs away at anything other than snails acceleration levels. I haven't tried jacking the engine up to see if one of the top mounts is ripped but can't think of anything else it could be, everything on the suspension (except the twanging springs) checked out a perfect and for the noise to be completely unaffected makes me think it is something totally different.

Any idea's or suggestions? It's not an overly easily engine bay to see stuff in as it's quite crowded in there.

Thanks

[Edited on 18/6/18 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 19/6/18 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
open bonnet & strip off any plastic crap covering the engine that you easily can, if you can reproduce it with the handbrake on, great get someone to do it whilst you watch to see whats moving. If you can't reproduce with handbrake on then get someone to do it at pull away whilst you trot alongside, you should be able to see what's happening. Sounds like excessive play in engine mounts, have you tried rocking the engine by hand, or with a lever?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 19/6/18 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Lower engine mount sounds a likely candidate to me. The rubber in a 205 GTI lower engine mount is known to perish/split after a while an allows the engine to try and rotate. This can then cause shudder when you try an pull away as the lower engine mount is right where the drive shafts exit the transmission.

russbost's suggestions seem a pretty valid way of checking.

After that getting uner the engine and levering it about around the lower engine mount might show you.

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/6/18 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
took the top mountings off but before I did I noticed the drivers side one had been removed before as it had a new water pump and that it was positioned further backwards from the original paint marks round the bolt when it left the factory, quite a bit actually as the bolt holes in the mounts are very large and it can slide around until bolted down. So I check the mount which all seem in very good if not perfect condition but pulled the engine right forward as far as I could before tightening down and the seems to have cured the banging. So was just badly re-positioned engine mounts...perhaps the cat was thumping into the bulkhead as that's a fat thing on the base of the manifold.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 21/6/18 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy

Any idea's or suggestions?

Weigh it in and never buy another Ford? That's what i did last time I had a Fiesta. It's a policy that has served me well ever since

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/6/18 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
tbh I'm very happy, no delighted by the car so far

Just a year ago I completely fell out with Fords with the C-max falling apart and then the dual mass clutch going, couldn't get rid of that car quick enough...

But the wee fiesta, I don't know just really seems to be spot on. It's rough round the edges like any budget car (mines the basement model 1.25 petrol, I don't even have electric windows) but its design so far has really impressed me. It's use of space is fabulous, had 3 bikes in it, carried 7 full size radiators yesterday along with a weeks shopping, ok there was no suspension travel left but it didn't blow up...

Once I've paid off the wife's car in a couple of years I'm seriously thinking of treating myself to a brand new one which I will look after with totally insane devotion

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.