Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is this an appropriate caliper position?
jps

posted on 29/9/18 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote
Is this an appropriate caliper position?

I've done lots of searching but there are plenty of threads with words on and precious few i've found with pictures!

Does this look like a workable way to position my Sierra calipers on my Haynes?

I'm assuming that the handbrake cable will come outwards parallel with the bottom wishbone and into the caliper from below. I'm assuming my brake line will come in parallel to the top wishbone - perhaps with a short piece of rigid pipe to go from the caliper to the upright.

I expect I will have to pivot the caliper upwards to bleed it correctly as the bleed nipple is slightly lower than where the brake line connects.

PS - this is the UK offside/drivers side

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 29/9/18 by jps]

rusty nuts

posted on 29/9/18 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
It might be better to have a flexi hose between the calliper and upright otherwise changing brake pads means disconnecting the pipe unless you use a slotted bracket and a slide in retaining clip?
SteveWalker

posted on 29/9/18 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
I expect I will have to pivot the caliper upwards to bleed it correctly as the bleed nipple is slightly lower than where the brake line connects.

Are the two caliper connections the same? You may be able to swap the bleed nipple into the other connection to make it the highest point.

obfripper

posted on 29/9/18 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
You don't want a solid brake line from a fixed bracket to a sliding caliper as the movement will work harden the pipe and may cause it to fatigue/fail. A flexible hose is a better option and as mentioned will make servicing the brakes easier.
The position of your calipers is fine, with the bleed port at the highest point of the caliper, you may need to check the routing/clearance of the handbrake cables as they may be close to your wishbones. If you are going to make up the cables to suit, a 90° guide fitting at the caliper end will make cable routing easier.

Here's a picture of my caliper setup, I have a live axle but the mounting position is the same.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zu6tpjaalw09jh2/20170904_203950.jpg?dl=0

Dave

[Edited on 29/9/18 by obfripper]

jps

posted on 30/9/18 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
You don't want a solid brake line from a fixed bracket to a sliding caliper
[Edited on 29/9/18 by obfripper]

Oh yeah!! I had completely forgotten about the caliper being a moving part!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.