Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Change of email and website address (due to Brexit)
David Jenkins

posted on 15/3/19 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Change of email and website address (due to Brexit)

I've just been told that my lathyrus.eu domain may get closed if there's no agreement regarding Brexit... nothing certain yet, but it is a possibility.

To ensure that I don't get caught out by a sudden domain closure I've set up a new one - lathyrus.me

So - if you have links to my website (www.lathyrus.eu) then change them to lathyrus.me and if you have my email address stored, change the extension from .eu to .me - simples! (I'm not posting my email address here, for obvious reasons). The WWW button on this site now points to the correct address.

I still have to change the address on the website - to be done shortly.

Please don't use this as an opportunity to rant about Brexit - this .eu change has been on the cards for a long time (and it may never happen if there's a deal - but I'm changing over anyway). The .eu extension has caused me problems in the past - at least one supplier tried to say that I couldn't buy stuff from them because I wasn't in the UK!

[Edited on 15/3/19 by David Jenkins]

designer

posted on 15/3/19 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have an .EU address and I'm told it will continue.

Brexit ain't gonna happen.

Why should the Polititians give the people what they voted for!! They never have before!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 15/3/19 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^^ this, if it dont happen, i cant see the populus being very happy, there will be plenty MP,s down the dole office at the next election.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

flak monkey

posted on 15/3/19 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
David, I didn't bother renewing my .eu domain for the same reasons, kept my .co.uk and .com ones running though. Although both are empty at the moment, really should do something with them again.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

David Jenkins

posted on 15/3/19 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
David, I didn't bother renewing my .eu domain for the same reasons, kept my .co.uk and .com ones running though. Although both are empty at the moment, really should do something with them again.

Yes - at least the fairly new .me extension isn't tied to a country, so should be OK long-term.

Slimy38

posted on 15/3/19 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

Yes - at least the fairly new .me extension isn't tied to a country, so should be OK long-term.

I have to admit I did take a bit of time looking at possible extensions. There's a few that could have 'made sense' to my domain, but I decided to go for the .co.uk option. As you mentioned, there's an unconscious association with the physical country, even though you can pretty much register any domain from any location (with a handful of exclusions IIRC).

David Jenkins

posted on 15/3/19 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I have to admit I did take a bit of time looking at possible extensions. There's a few that could have 'made sense' to my domain, but I decided to go for the .co.uk option. As you mentioned, there's an unconscious association with the physical country, even though you can pretty much register any domain from any location (with a handful of exclusions IIRC).

There is an EU document (LINK) that states that all .EU domains held by non-EU people will either be shut down, or not allowed to be renewed. There's a very high chance that this is posturing by the bargaining committee, but I'm no longer in the mood to faff around.

MikeRJ

posted on 16/3/19 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
^^^^^^ this, if it dont happen, i cant see the populus being very happy, there will be plenty MP,s down the dole office at the next election.

I doubt the populous will be happy whatever happens. A bigger shambles is hard to imagine.

steve m

posted on 16/3/19 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I do believe this Country has an awful lot more problems going on, than an EU email address, sorry David

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

David Jenkins

posted on 16/3/19 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I do believe this Country has an awful lot more problems going on, than an EU email address, sorry David

Correct - but I don't want to get caught out by sitting on my hands and losing all my email contact.

David Jenkins

posted on 4/4/19 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
...and it's started.

On the 1st April I tried to send an email to a couple of people using my .eu account, and neither got it. Tried again with my new account and they went straight through. Did a test with the old account and then they went through - I think a few routing agencies got a bit too hasty.

Ah well - I've cut everything over to the new address - well, everything I want to cut over. The companies that keep sending junk to my old address can carry on, as far as I'm concerned.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.