Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting Front Wings
myke pocock

posted on 1/4/20 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Fitting Front Wings

My car is bult to the book so the wing stays are as the plans. I am fitting new front wings as the first are crazing around the mounting holes. I drilled over size holes and used flat head screws with nyloks and put rubber washers under the head of the screws. In time the gell coat has crazed around the holes. Any suggestions for fitting the new wings to prevent this happening. I dont want to glue them to the stays by the way.
jps

posted on 1/4/20 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
I dont want to glue them to the stays by the way.

Why not? Seems the obvious alternative - and would distribute the pressure?

Can you position them - then lay additional fibreglass so that the stay is basically encased in the wing?

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/4/20 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Did you chamfer the edges of the holes? doing so will help prevent cracks. Though tbh I'd also glue it, I use Tiger seal as an adhesive, it's very strong.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 1/4/20 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
My "glued on" arches never came off in 19 years,

Glue them onto the frame, with araldite or similar, leave to dry
next day flip them over, and add some fiberglass over the mount and on to the wing

job done, its very easy, and much better not having screw holes everywhere

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

russbost

posted on 2/4/20 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for bonding them, it's what we've always done on the Furore, just grind the surfaces to give a bonding key & use Siraflex, job done, just leave 24 hours to go off b4 moving anything

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 2/4/20 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
On my MK Indy I drilled holes through the cycle wings and then the metal wheel arch brackets. Tapped the holes in the metal (M5 IIRC) and used stainless steel dome head Allen set screws to secure the cycle wings. Not too tight and no cracking or crazing (or problems coming loose).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.