Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Painting mild steel without primer
nick205

posted on 31/5/20 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Painting mild steel without primer

I've built myself a rocket stove using mild steel. It gets hot as you burn wood in it. I'd like to paint it with high temperature paint to help prevent rust, but will it paint without primer first or if I need primer can you suggest a high temp primer?

Thanks
Nick

[Edited on 31/5/20 by nick205]

r1_pete

posted on 31/5/20 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
VHT do a high temp primer, withstands just short of 1100 C.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 1/6/20 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
VHT do a high temp primer, withstands just short of 1100 C.

Thanks, will take a look.

Bluemoon

posted on 1/6/20 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
used VHT high temp paint on mild steal exhaust. Works ok, prep well and mist coat for primer..
nick205

posted on 1/6/20 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
used VHT high temp paint on mild steal exhaust. Works ok, prep well and mist coat for primer..

Thanks again, useful to know.

In the past (for non heat applications) I've used red oxide aerosol or brush-on primer. It's always done me very well and it's cheap to but and use as well. I just can't see that working for higher heat applications, hence my question. I'm going to investigate the VHT primers and give it a dust coat with as suggested.

Having to be back in the office will have its benefits, but it'll also seem a bit constricting in some ways!

Bluemoon

posted on 1/6/20 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

In the past (for non heat applications) I've used red oxide aerosol or brush-on primer. It's always done me very well and it's cheap to but and use as well. I just can't see that working for higher heat applications, hence my question. I'm going to investigate the VHT primers and give it a dust coat with as suggested.

Having to be back in the office will have its benefits, but it'll also seem a bit constricting in some ways!

Was not clear. The VHT heat resistance paint I have used didn't need a primer, they recommended mist coat (of the topcoat).

Dan

nick205

posted on 1/6/20 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:

Was not clear. The VHT heat resistance paint I have used didn't need a primer, they recommended mist coat (of the topcoat).

Dan

OK - thanks for clarifying. That's the type of info/experience I was looking for.

David Jenkins

posted on 1/6/20 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Same experience with VHT paint - clean the bare steel as well as you can, a few light coats, then heat the thing up. In my case, it was my exhaust system so I ran the engine until the exhaust was hot.

The paint doesn't stick very well until the metal has got hot - I think it bonds during the heating phase. I don't know if a blowtorch would do the job...

nick205

posted on 1/6/20 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks again.

I guess I'll give it a few light coats then burn some wood in it to get it good and hot.

nick205

posted on 1/6/20 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Bought some high temp "primerless" satin aerosol to paint the rocket stove with. Will concentrate on getting the steel as clean as I can before painting and following manufacturers instructions for best curing etc.

Photos to follow when it's painted!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.