Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Removing poly bushes from wishbones without damaging them
Pete Jordan

posted on 2/9/20 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Removing poly bushes from wishbones without damaging them

As I explained in my last post, I need to refurbish my front wishbones, although my MK Indy has yet to be finished and has never been on the road under its own power. If I am to have them sandblasted, I will need to remove the poly bushes, which are unused, so ideally without destroying them in the process.

Has anyone done this and can share the best technique please, or do I have to accept that I'll have to cut them out and will need to add a new set of poly bushes to my shopping list?

Thanks,

Pete

Pete Jordan

gremlin1234

posted on 2/9/20 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
the usual way is using a large vice, and suitably sized sockets, one acting to push the bush though, and another as a cup to push it into.
James

posted on 2/9/20 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Are they single piece? Or the 'T' profile type?

Mine, bought from MK many moons ago, are the T-shape. I would clamp the bone in a vice, drift out the steel insert, then drift out the bush from the inside.
This is what I did when I removed them to modify the wishbone.

If it appeared to be damaging the bush I'd make an 'L' shaped drift just small enough to fit through the insert hole and drift the inner face of the bush out with that.

[Edited on 2/9/20 by James]

[Edited on 2/9/20 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Pete Jordan

posted on 2/9/20 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
They are the T or top hat type of bushes, so not possible to drift them out from one side to the other using sockets unfortunately. I like the idea of removing the crush tube and then drifting each half out through the hole left by the crush tube. I'll give that a try and hope the bushes move before they start getting damaged by the drift, unless anyone has any other ideas.

Pete

Pete Jordan

posted on 2/9/20 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
Are they single piece? Or the 'T' profile type?

Mine, from MK many moons ago, at the T. I would clamp the bone in a vice, drift out the steel insert, then drift out the bush from the inside.

If it appeared to be damaging the bush I'd make an 'L' shaped drift just small enough to fit through the insert hole and drift the inner face of the bush out with that.

I've used this method.

CosKev3

posted on 2/9/20 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
As above,push the centre crush tube out and the poly bushes will pop out easily
rusty nuts

posted on 2/9/20 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Do a search on here for crush tube issues ! Will save you loads of grief
Pete Jordan

posted on 8/9/20 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies. I'm aware if the crush tube issues and suffered myself as my crush tubes were just sawn off lengths. By the time I squared them off in a lathe they were too short. I've bought a set of stainless tubes and the right grease, so hopefully won't have any issues once I've rebuilt them.

Pete

Pete Jordan

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.