Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suspension geometry program required,
Dunc

posted on 9/12/01 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Suspension geometry program required,

As you may be aware I've been using the ProEngineer CAD program, which is an excellent 3D program, and Excel to work out suspension geometry for my kit. I think I've reached an excellent compromise for roll angle and bump steer effects for the full range of movements of the front suspension, ie, bump steer of 0.1 degree toe in for 50mm upwards travel of front wheel, hence my modified steering rack, but I'm still looking for an independant program to confirm my results. Other leads for programs have led to dead links or only worked in the magically perfect 2D world and not the real head numbing world 3D, does anyone happen to have such a program I could use?

I would be extremely grateful.

Dunc.

ellisb7

posted on 13/5/02 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
No replies?
Must be someone out there who has used one?
There is an Australian programme but the name I forget.
Anyone?
Brian

ellisb7

posted on 13/5/02 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
It is called SusProg3D.
Anyone used it?
Brian

Simon Mc

posted on 13/5/02 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Dunc,
I have just got a program from a bloke at work. I can remember what its called as it on my work pc. Its a demo and only lasts 10 days (apparently) I saw it a while ago when he was working out the front geometey for his sylva and it looks quite good. I can forward it to you if you like.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 13/5/02 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
As you may be aware I've been using the ProEngineer CAD program, which is an excellent 3D program, and Excel to work out suspension geometry for my kit. I think I've reached an excellent compromise for roll angle and bump steer effects for the full range of movements of the front suspension, ie, bump steer of 0.1 degree toe in for 50mm upwards travel of front wheel, hence my modified steering rack, but I'm still looking for an independant program to confirm my results. Other leads for programs have led to dead links or only worked in the magically perfect 2D world and not the real head numbing world 3D, does anyone happen to have such a program I could use?

I would be extremely grateful.

Dunc.

Look in the files area of 'the other list'. I think its called Les Newells suspension helper.

Its a DOS borland program, and it models a moving graphic of your suspension. Its great at trying out dimensional stuff and seeing how true your suspension is.

Give it a go!

ATB

Steve

Dunc

posted on 14/5/02 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Stephen,

I not a member of the other list so can't access the files area. I found that some of the ones available weren't that great so I wrote my own. I've spent over 3 months designing my front suspension in 3D hence my need to shorten the steering rack but it would be good to double check it with the program you have simon, do you want me to send my dimensions?

Simon Mc

posted on 14/5/02 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
it would be better for me to send you the program as once its istalled you only have 10 days or so to use it (plus i havnt used it yet!). I havnt installed it on mine yet. I'll dig out the e-mail that its attached to, see what its called (It may even be the program the others are on about)and how big it is. Im not sure if its 2D of 3d but if i remember correctly it did show various views of the car (front ,back top ect).
Simon Mc

posted on 14/5/02 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
dunc,
Its called suspension analyser and it about 3.1 Mb long. look the business and calculates in 3d but only draws in 2d. Animates as well. p.s. How much for a set of suspension brackets?

Dunc

posted on 14/5/02 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe if we speak nicely to the Boss Man he'll create a file thingy where we could upload and download files like that. As for the suspension brackets I've been selling them 26 for £20.
Simon Mc

posted on 14/5/02 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
How about it boss man?
ellisb7

posted on 14/5/02 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
I need a programme for suspension analysis too. Any offers?
Brian

Simon Mc

posted on 14/5/02 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
I can e-mail the program to anybody who wants a copy. May take a while to down load if you use a dail up conection...
jcduroc

posted on 14/5/02 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dunc et al.
I've downloaded a demo version of and tried SusProg3D (Autralian stuff).
It has two dimensioning layout constraints: you can't change wheels and tires and uprights dimensions in the demo version, otherwise you can all sorts of geometries.
It plots 2D but gives you exact data that you can easily (I guess, I don't know ProE) include in your software.
I can't remember the site go Google and search for "SusProg3D"

Cheers
Joćo

ChrisW

posted on 14/5/02 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Simon - email it over (warn me first though please!) and I'll get it uploaded on here so long as there are no copyright implications.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon Mc

posted on 14/5/02 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I will send it over tomorrow from work, as i have a faster connection there. It about 3.1meg and is a self installing exe file.
Dunc

posted on 14/5/02 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
The 2D stuff is good for working out the basic geometry and roll centres and camber changes but falls down when you need to include tilted wishbones and or any sort of castor angle. Steering racks also confuse matters esp when any steering input is included. These programs are good to help get the basics right and would recommend them. I'll be giving it a go anyway.
jcduroc

posted on 14/5/02 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dunc
The fact is SusProg3D allows you to play with tilted wishbones (in both planes, horizontal and vertical), toe-in (or out!), castor and so on. It simply gives all data as figures (data sheets), not fancy (no offense) 3D drawings.
Give it a try and let us all know what you think. After all, that's what this site is about is it not?
Cheers
Joćo

Simon Mc

posted on 15/5/02 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Boss Man,
I have had problems sending the file to you do you have a limit on you email size there? It may be a problem with our email, i will try again when i get home.....

Simon Mc

posted on 16/5/02 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, it get returned when i send it from here as well, Also took a while the the failed report to come through as the posted the file back as well...I got well grilled by the girlfriend, she was expecting a mail from her dad and had to wait 20 mins to find out he forgot to send it.
rodoe

posted on 23/8/16 at 02:56 AM Reply With Quote
Can i suggest searching for www.vsusp.com, it may e what you're looking for. And it's free.
Matt21

posted on 23/8/16 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Only 14years late!

that has to be a record!

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

rodoe

posted on 23/8/16 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hehehe, thankyou, any awards for that😄 Must look at dates next time.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.