Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: taper sleeves
interestedparty

posted on 19/4/02 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
taper sleeves

Does anyone know of a catalogue etc I could look at, I'm hoping someone makes sleeves so that different balljoint tapers can be used in different (larger) holes. I know they do it for Morse tapers so maybe I will get lucky!
Also I am looking for a source of engineering info on tapers, I presume there are various different standards, I know Americans classify them as so many inches per foot, and others use degrees.
TIA
John
PS if you want to know why I want to know, I'm trying to find a way of using Transit balljoints in a Jaguar upright

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/4/02 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
I searched the net a lot when i was trying to find out just the same thing

came up with nothing.

I suppose the sensible thing would have been to ask my toolmaker dad, but that would have been too easy!

I will ask next time I speak to him.

Must be other engineering types on here....

paulf

posted on 21/4/02 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote

paulf

posted on 21/4/02 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
As far as i know it is not possible to obtain taper sleeves for such use. In the past at one company i worked for we used to modify taperjoints, and make reamers for holes to suit.We made parts for large articulated trailers as well as repairing classic cars, tractors and print machinery.If we needed to fit a larger trackrod end to a smaller joint it was often possible to set up and grind the taper to suit, for taper holes we used to make our own reamers out of twistdrills or milling cutters.
It maybe easier in your case to adapt the steering rack to fit the alternative rodends.
Paul.

paulf

posted on 21/4/02 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Just read your post again,there must be another balljoint that can be used in place of the Transit for the top wishbone,or how about using the jag ones and making the wishbone to suit.
interestedparty

posted on 22/4/02 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Paul. The Jaguar balljoint is like a scaled-up Herald BJ, with 2 through-bolts. Ideally I would like to get a balljoint that had a threaded end like the Transit, in order to make camber adjustment easy. Using a standard wishbone is also desirable rather than to make my own.
I would like to find a reference work listing various tapers, are there just a few standard ones or do manufacturers make their own, presumably also there are metric and imperial types? I believe in the US they are measured in so many inches slope to the foot
John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Dunc

posted on 22/4/02 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Use the jaguar ball joint but weld the suspension bush holders to threaded rod, tap a rod and weld to wishbone and alter your camber from the bushes rather than the balljoint.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.