Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear suspension worries
ChrisW

posted on 18/12/01 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Rear suspension worries

Can someone put my worries to rest on this one?

Finally got my rear axle (from an RS2000) and have started cleaning it up however it now looks like the trailing arms are going to be very close to the inside edge of the tyres/rims. By close I mean less than 10mm either side. Is this normal or have I messed something up?? It's difficult to see exactly how close they are in the pictures in 'the book'.

Also, if they rub, can I get wheel spacers or will that mess the suspension angles up?

Cheers!

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
merlin

posted on 19/12/01 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
Can't see that you have got it wrong as the forward rear brackets (on the chassis) can't be welded anywhere but right. You could fit spacers to clear the arms, you may only need a shim! It shouldn't change any angles as you are only bringing the wheels out parallel.
If you need spacers between 1mm and 12mm let me know your PCD and i'll laser cut you some!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 19/12/01 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
I couldn't see where I could have gone wrong either but my moutings for the forward rear brackets are slightly different to the book! The centre of my mounts are 1065mm apart which leaves about 50mm each end of the axle between the bracket and the back of the drum.

On the subject of wheel spacers - how much hassle is it for you? May well be interested for my XR2000! I'm a bit worried the SuperT's will look too small once I get my new arches on it...!

ChrisW

merlin

posted on 19/12/01 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
No problem, just give me your PCD and tell me how thick you want them and they will be done! (after Christmas now!).
ChrisW

posted on 20/12/01 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Excellent! Once I've got the arches on I'll get in touch (which will be after Xmas now!)

Chris

merlin

posted on 20/12/01 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
If you want standard arches I will have a pair for sale after christmas (as in the photo's submitted to you) will be about £40 quid if you are interrested? reason - I have a cortina axle which is about 6" wider!!!
ChrisW

posted on 20/12/01 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the offer! However I was talking about one of my other cars. Somehow I don't think Locost arches would fit on it!

Chris

merlin

posted on 23/12/01 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
why not! be different!
ChrisW

posted on 23/12/01 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote

...on this?? There's being different, and there's being different!

Chris

Pablo

posted on 23/12/01 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Is that your donor car Chris?
Nice wheels, would look great on any Locost.

LOL

Pablo

merlin

posted on 23/12/01 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
but Chris. it's got a roof! and a windscreen! and a heater! and doors!
What is wrong with you???

ChrisW

posted on 24/12/01 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
...but it's also got 158bhp at the wheels and with the speed it's capable of things like windscreens become more of a necessity!

As for it being my donor car... the amount of ca$h i've spent on that will probably treble my Locost's budget before I'd even started!

Chris

Danny

posted on 12/3/02 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Chris are you of SpeedCentral fame? Car looks familiar

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.