Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Selling CAD / FE Work Time??
Stuart Walker

posted on 30/11/06 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Selling CAD / FE Work Time??

Just wondered what anyone thought of this idea to make a little bit of cash...

Was thinking of selling blocks of CAD or Finite Element "time" on eBay, say in blocks of 4 or 5 hours, for people who maybe just have a small project / DIY / Car thing they want looking at.

The idea would be that the person buys the block of time from me, sends me their sketch / idea / whatever, I do the stuff (or as much as possible in the time), then send back results or image or whatever...

Anyone think it could work? I'll probably try it anyway, just interested what you think really...

Stu

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
3GEComponents

posted on 30/11/06 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
What sort of price for the FE work?

I'd be interested in that, can supply all drawings in what ever format you like.

Thanks

John.

D Beddows

posted on 30/11/06 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I would suspect the problem you would have selling 'blocks' of time is that (like all CAD freelance work) people who aren't CAD/FEA literate will possibly have unrealistic expectations of what can be acheived in 4 hours - and people who are might think they haven't had their moneys worth. Don't get me wrong I actualy think it's a great idea but I'd have some kind of menu of services with set prices and some area for negotiation depending on the specific job.

omega 24 v6

posted on 30/11/06 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
As said above some folk are unrealistic in expectations. Better to see what's required by them and then give a fixed price for the work.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

ceebmoj

posted on 30/11/06 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I share the same concerns as others have stated.

Do you run your own company? Or will this be in your spare time?

I think that as a route for making some cash it can work. I have my day job in witch I am a programmer and run my own company as well. I have no kids or a wife, doing this sort of stuff (job out side of day time employment) really eats your time and in my experience you end up using a lot more time than you think. You need to be very strict with you’re time accounting. Also when you get busy how do you feel about a long **** day at work then another 5 to 6 hours when you get home. Having said all of that it is very rewarding and can present you with some very interesting opportunities.

blake

D Beddows

posted on 30/11/06 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
Another thought that has just occured to me is that if you in effect hire yourself out as a FEA (ie structural) consultant you'll seriously need to consider some form of professional indemnity clause and/or insurance just in case someone builds something based on your work and sh*t happens.....

ab54666

posted on 30/11/06 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Indeed you will need a professional indemnity policy, which for what you are talking about doing will be quite expensive.
greggors84

posted on 30/11/06 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
If you stay away from the FEA work you should be ok insurance wise. As for CAD work you would just be a draftsman for someone elses designs.

As for FEA if your just providing the analysis not giving any advice, would you be liable?

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

D Beddows

posted on 30/11/06 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
It's realy not worth the risk finding out...... You would be in the direct firing line of any lawyer if something went wrong. Without any kind of indemnity policy or insurance at best it would be an expensive hastle to sort out, at worst it could be financialy ruinous

[Edited on 30/11/06 by D Beddows]

Stuart Walker

posted on 30/11/06 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies, lots to think about there!

At present I'm doing my final year of a mechanical engineering degree and also self employed (www.shelfbikes.co.uk), but I was thinking this would just raise a bit of cash for the last 6 or so months of uni...

The insurance issue does kinda spoil the plan though! Might be best just to stick to the CAD, I'll take your ideas on board and come up with some sort of menu for it.

Thanks very much for the advice!
Stu

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chriscook

posted on 30/11/06 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84
As for FEA if your just providing the analysis not giving any advice, would you be liable?

But if you do the analysis wrong "garbage in = garbage out"... If someone knows how to tell you to do the analysis then they know how to do it themselves.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.