Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Uprights
James

posted on 18/1/02 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra Uprights

Embarrassingly basic newbie question I'm afraid:

I'm planning to use a Sierra (Pinto) as my donor and I'm slightly confused as to what I should be using for the front uprights. Obviously, The Book suggests using Cortina uprights (with a MKII) but some people seem to be using Cortina ones when they've used a Sierra donor. I've spent some time looking through the Haynes but can't find a clear picture of the uprights to see how different they are from the Cortina and find if they're going to be suitable (and people give me strange looks and call the police if they find me "just looking" at their Sierra by being underneath it in a car park! :-) ).
Having checked the MK site they appear to supply "modified for joint fitment" Sierra hubs and others like the Robin Hood 2B use Sierra too but there is no mention of a mod' needed.
What is the MK modification and how hard is it to do myself? Would the Sierra hubs fit easily to the Cortina upright or do I then need to use Cortina hubs too?

Any help gratefully recieved.

Thanks!

James

bob

posted on 18/1/02 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
The mod is the upper ball joint socket,because on sierra hubs the Mcpherson strut goes fits into a hole tightened and held in by a pinch bolt.
Throw strut away and get fillet for top joint from Lolocost or MK or even cheaper make it.

Dunc

posted on 19/1/02 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
James,

Check out the photos section and Stoneleigh 2001, There are some pictures of a Sierra upright with an adapter to allow the use of a ball joint. It simply just clamps in place of the shocker although some would say it's not as neat looking as a cortina upright. Another Mod that neads done is to the bottom ball joint. The hole is too small to use a cortina ball joint, the thread doesn't even go into the hole. I'm using a Maxi bottom ball joint, it fits but only just. The thread protrudes a little and the taper only just enters the upright. I used a standard tapered hand reamer, about 8 deg angle, and enlarged the upright taper until the ball joint fitted snugly.

If you want some more pictures I can email photos of my sierra uprights. Just say the word if you need any more help.

Dunc.

James

posted on 21/1/02 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Dunc, Bob,

Thanks very much for the info', think I understand what I need to do now- especially having studied those pictures. Guess I'll have to post my pictures when I've done the mods! :-)

Thanks again,

James

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.