Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kinky Rod Ends and Ackerman Steering
RazMan

posted on 7/10/07 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Kinky Rod Ends and Ackerman Steering

This came up in another thread so I thought it might be interesting for others ...

If I understand Ackerman steering correctly, moving the steering rack towards the rear of the car (which uses Cortina uprights) will introduce more Ackerman steering effect. This reduces tyre scrub at slow speeds - something I have noticed when turning on gravel coated drives.

So if the track rod ends are 'kinked' like the one below left, will it have the same effect as moving the rack rearwards? Rescued attachment Track Rod Ends.jpg
Rescued attachment Track Rod Ends.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 7/10/07 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
No effect -- it is the position of the centre lines of the innner and outer track rod balls joints that has the effect.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

John Bonnett

posted on 7/10/07 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Raz, the following link albeit for radio controlled cars explains Ackerman really well. http://www.rctek.com/handling/ackerman_steering_principle.html

Best wishes

John

RazMan

posted on 7/10/07 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent link John - I think I get it now.
While trying to get my brain around the principle I created a little diagram in Corel Draw to test the theory and I think it demonstrates it quite well.
Here are two identical racks positioned on the same car - one behind the other. You can see how the toe of each wheel is affected when the rack is positioned further back, effectively allowing inner and outer wheels to follow a different radius. Rescued attachment Ackerman Diagram.jpg
Rescued attachment Ackerman Diagram.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.