Board logo

About the McSorley plans
clockwork - 16/5/07 at 06:46 PM

My welding is getting there so I have been paying more attention to the plans.

I originally intended to build as per the new book... but have had a change of heart as my personal preference is the more slim westfield/tiger design. With this in mind I have been looking through the McSorley plans, but I notice he is missing the siderail diagonals (original book TR2/TR4/TR6) which concerns me slightly.

I am planning on an IRS rear utilising a freelander diff, with sierra uprights upfront (already bought and paid for).

Now I'm not going to change my mind on the size, so which plans should I be using?

EDIT, Post 100 and I've only completed a garage and a build desk

[Edited on 16/5/07 by clockwork]

speedyxjs - 16/5/07 at 06:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by clockwork
EDIT, Post 100 and I've only completed a garage and a build desk
[Edited on 16/5/07 by clockwork]

Thats nothing i havn't started welding and im nearly at 300

daKlone - 16/5/07 at 06:53 PM

It's an easy mistake to make - the McSorley plans are not a complete chassis design.

You still need to add things like the diagonals, transmission tunnel and suspension mounts as per the original book.

Bob C - 16/5/07 at 08:45 PM

I used a combination of the Mcsorley plans and "cymtriks mods" - search on here for them or if you've no joy u2u me & I'll email you a copy of the 'treatise' he published on the web. A few of us have done our own IRS, the 'book' chassis is not designed for IRS....
cheers
Bob

caber - 16/5/07 at 09:19 PM

what's wrong with the "New Book" It is more helpful than the old book!

Caber

clockwork - 17/5/07 at 07:37 AM

Bob, thanks. I've got the one from his website that I will amend as necessary.
Caber, it's more of a preference. I prefer the look of the "old" style, otherwise I would have built to the new book.

Another question. Will my choice of sierra uprights make a difference to the chassis brackets with McSorley, or is it a case of modifying the wishbones?

[Edited on 17/5/07 by clockwork]

DIY Si - 17/5/07 at 09:07 AM

The chassis brackets can stay the same, but the uppper wishbone has to be longer, and the mounts are different on both.

MikeRJ - 17/5/07 at 03:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by caber
what's wrong with the "New Book" It is more helpful than the old book!

Caber

It's a somewhat non-standard +2" wide chassis, which limits the bodywork that can be bought for it.