Board logo

HELP Fury blade waterpump connections problem
tandi - 20/10/12 at 08:35 PM

Hi All

I'm in need of some advice with connecting up the cooling system on my Fury Blade.

With much thanks to Andy at AB Performance (top supplier) I am putting in a replacement 919 blade engine into my fury.

There is a slight difference to my older engine's plumbing?

The waterpump has 4 outlets: 2 x large bore - one to bottom or rad and one to next to oil fiiter. Smaller bore one the bottom also goes to next to oil filter. But, there is also on to the top which I have no idea where it goes??

My old engine used to have a smaller pipe in this engine that went to the cylinder head, I think it was a vent pipe, but this one doesn't seem to have anywhere to go?

Below are two pics, one shows the outlet in question, the other shows the engine back where I think it should go.

If anyone can help it would be hugely helpful so I can finish the car tomorrow :-)

Description
Description

Description
Description

BobM - 21/10/12 at 05:34 AM

The 2 smaller ones are to the oil/water intercooler which sits by the oil filter. The 2 larger bore ones are for your cooling circuit, the upper connection is the one from the thermostat on the cylinder head (on the right hand side of you second pic), the other one goes to your rad.

tandi - 21/10/12 at 08:54 AM

Hi bob

Thanks for your reply.

I have the top of the rad going to the thermostat and the bottom of the rad going to one of the large bore connections on the water pump.
I then have a large bore and small bore going to where the oil filter is.
The top one used to go to the head before, but was smaller.
This was my original setup and worked fine for 3 years but not something I set up.

Your suggestions are quite different. Do you have any pics of this?

I could plumb the top pipe of the water pump into the top of the thermostat? Is this what you mean? This would make perfect sense to me as the bore is the same. It would also create a looped system with the bleed pipe out of the top of the engine being the only pipe then going into the catch tank.

Cheers
Kevin

IainL - 21/10/12 at 12:52 PM

Hi,
I've attached a photo of my 919 Fireblade engine before it was installed and it looks like I have some thing extra on my cooling system, the top hose goes from thermostat housing down to a 3 way connection and then to the top of the radiator as can be seen in the second photo when the engine was intalled.

Sorry if this causes more confusion!

919 cooling 4
919 cooling 4

919 Cooling 4
919 Cooling 4

There are a few more photos in my Photo Archive

Cheers,
IainL

mark chandler - 21/10/12 at 03:20 PM

It's a long time since I replaced my blown 893 with a 919 so take this with a pinch of salt.

On the 893 the thermostat exists within then housing on the head, on the 919 this housing is empty and a different housing contains this, the block above the starter motor.

I moved the thermostat across and block the other pipe to the water pump, when I looked at the pumps they were pretty nearly identical except the later one had an extra outlet.

Mine runs a turbo so gets very hot, this has worked fine for 3 years now

The other thing you need is a bubble pipe from the top of the housing to the top of the radiator.

One thing I did not expect, the gear operation will now be reversed as the 919's have an extension linkage on the bike.

Regards Mark

tandi - 24/10/12 at 06:30 PM

Thanks for all your comments guys. I spoke with Andy at AB and have resolved the mystery outlet. I can simply block it off, not required.

Cheers
Kevin