Board logo

Whats an acceptable way to cover this for IVA?
Daf - 12/7/15 at 10:20 PM

I’m just going through my final jobs list on the car and the front brake hose end is not IVA compliant, I know it needs to be a permanent solution so I’m guessing a bit of silicone hose and some cable ties is not acceptable. Any suggestions on an appropriate way to protect it?

Cheers

Daf

kingster996 - 12/7/15 at 10:23 PM

Assuming you mean brake line fittings, then mine were not covered and passed. The test is for a sphere to contact from the front and my tester said they can't waggle it around in there! I had powerlites too.

He did say something about the Sierra uprights and the mushrooms needing to be held in by something more than the pinch bolt though. Westfield Sierra sdv has a plate through the pinch bolt, so was fine.

oh, and make sure your brake lines don't touch the wishbones while turning lock to lock. I "pigtailed" mine.

[Edited on 12/7/15 by kingster996]

Daf - 12/7/15 at 10:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kingster996
Assuming you mean brake line fittings, then mine were not covered and passed. The test is for a sphere to contact from the front and my tester said they can't waggle it around in there! I had powerlites too.

He did say something about the Sierra uprights and the mushrooms needing to be held in by something more than the pinch bolt though. Westfield Sierra sdv has a plate through the pinch bolt, so was fine.

oh, and make sure your brake lines don't touch the wishbones while turning lock to lock. I "pigtailed" mine.

[Edited on 12/7/15 by kingster996]

Very interesting - something else I can cross off my list then!

I've drilled and put an extra stud through the mushroom, I've tried to read up on everyone else' failures on here!

What do you mean by pigtailed? I've made mine into a nice S shape so that they don't hit anything.

kingster996 - 12/7/15 at 10:44 PM

By pigtail I mean twisted to form a single spiral, so the hose can spring in and out, but not so much that it kinks.

corrado vr6 - 13/7/15 at 05:34 PM

Mine weren't tested at IVA either nor were they covered

Daf - 13/7/15 at 06:10 PM

Thanks guys, they're not covered and the job is ticked off my list!

I will be complaining if I fail on it though

kingster996 - 13/7/15 at 06:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Daf
Thanks guys, they're not covered and the job is ticked off my list!

I will be complaining if I fail on it though

I take no responsibility for you ending up with a tester in full on Pedant Mode though

prawnabie - 13/7/15 at 07:03 PM

Are those hoses made with compression fittings?

Daf - 13/7/15 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie

They are yes, I've got the paperwork to go with them though to show that they have the insert into the hose.

The Black Flash - 20/7/15 at 08:04 PM

As above, I don't think he'll get the sphere in there. You can buy large polystyrene spheres in virtually identical sizes for a quid or two if you want to check yourself, or just make a cardboard cut out of the radius, but I wouldn't worry about it.

allaboutfords2012 - 5/8/15 at 09:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Daf
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie

They are yes, I've got the paperwork to go with them though to show that they have the insert into the hose.

Hi there ive used a lot of these fittings and pipes but never got any paperwork. Where did you get them from?

Daf - 6/8/15 at 10:08 AM

I got them from demon tweeks - I have the part number on the recept and a matching part number in their catalogue with diagram and description. I'm hoping this will be okay for mr IVA man - I'll let you know!