Board logo

Sharp edges
bigandy - 15/5/05 at 06:51 PM

Evening all.

I was wondering if someone who has experienced the joys of an SVA test could tell me how the inspectors go about checking for sharp edges?

I'm vaguely aware that edges need to have a minimum radius, but is there any exempt areas? I'm specifically referring to the exposed front suspension. Do they check everywhere that is exposed, or do they only check parts that can be accessed easily?

Cheers
Andy

paulf - 15/5/05 at 07:31 PM

The parts of the front suspension that are checked are those at the front of the wishbones that can be contacted by the test sphere. this means the trackrod ends , top ball joint nut , lower spring seat,front top wishbone bracket , lower ball joint nut and the heads of the balljoint securing bolts.The rear top wishbone mount is exempt as is anything else behind the wishbones.
The best way to check is with a tennis ball as this is near the correct diameter, but idf in doubt cover it anything suspect with a permanent looking method.
if your using cortina ball joints then fit nut covers to the mounting bolts and this prevents the bottom balljoint nut from being contacted by test ball so it becomes exempt.
Paul.

Fifer - 15/5/05 at 07:51 PM

He will also use radius gauges etc.....
You really should get the SVA manual, it is a must have, order from your nearest SVA centre

David Jenkins - 15/5/05 at 08:59 PM

My tester didn't get any radius gauges out - but he did have a really good look at all the important bits, and ran his hand over everything. Mind you, I had spent a huge amount of time and effort covering every nut, sharp edge, whatever, so it was fairly obvious that I'd made an effort!
I'm sure that if he'd seen or felt anything iffy he'd have had the gauges out in an instant.

David
P.S. I agree about the SVA Manual - very educational as well as an important reference.

Hellfire - 16/5/05 at 07:26 AM

Ditto about the SVA Manual, it's the little things that catch you out! It also prevents you from doing unnecessary work.

Our SVA man didn't use any radius guages, though he did look at almost everything and where there was doubt, he ran his finger over them item in question.

He got a mirror on a stick to check down the tranny tunnel for spacings etc.... removed nut covers to check threads... full works! It is his job afterall... if he can see it's been worked on, he is more likely to let small misdermeanors(?) through.

HTH